Fireplace Question.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lesleedia

We have a home that is hooked up for gas right now but, I am trying to find out if we can use this for real wood?

The info I could find is. Coleman:9736D800 FMI#36EC-II Part # 15313. I know this is not a lot of info but if someone could let me know if my house was built to be able to burn real wood in the fireplace that would help me a lot.

I understand the gas would need to be removed before we converted to wood. I have paper work from the previous owner showing they had the gas installed after they moved in.

I think this home is built for real wood but, just trying to find out for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by lesleedia on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lesleedia

I meant converted not "coverteted"
Yanita

HI,

I corrected your spelling, LOL. You can edit your post at any time, simply click on the "edit" button in the upper right corner of your post.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lesleedia

Thank you.
altasnowman

Hi, not to be the bearer of bad news but the fireplace that you have is strictly meant for gas. In order to burn wood you would have to change out the stack as wood burns much hotter, you would also have to have a wood burning insert installed. I am not sure if you would need to get the conversion certified but it would be best to just remove the gas fireplace and have a proper wood burning fireplace installed, in the long run going the latter is the best bang for your dollar.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
lesleedia

Thank you for the info. I guess we will have to check into the options you suggested.
Brenda (OH)

I would have a very reputable fire place business come out and look at the set-up, maybe they can reline the stack, and if you built a tile floor in front of the old fire place with the gas removed, install a free standing wood stove, pellet stove, or corn stove....

using a free standing unit may be lower cost...

or how about, a free standing unit that vents through the wall, you keep the gas fireplace for use for shorter time periods, the pretty look of the mantle, and the ease of clean-up? then no cost of converting it.....

Brenda (OH)
Bea

You should check with your insurance company before doing a retrofit, they may have particular standards.

I'd love to trade with you! I get very little heat from my wood-burning fireplace and I still have to worry about creosote buildup, critters in the woodpile and cleaning out ashes. I had a gas log setup in my old house, much more efficient and environmentally friendly.