faux tin ceiling in mobile

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

summergardener

I love the old tin ceiling look and found a supplier of panels that resemble these. They are made of plastic instead of tin.
I would like to put these in my small bathroom over the original foam panel and plastic strip ceiling. They come in 2X4' panels. These are to be glued onto the existing ceiling using ceramic wall tile adhesive and (recommended)small brads (to stabilize the edges & keep from sagging.)I would paint them white (perhaps an antique looking white/distressed look?)

My bathroom is only 4 and a half feet wide by 7 and a half feet deep. (nothing like measuring it to make you realize how small it is!)It now has the original wood strip/molding. I was thinking that if I used a wider molding (store bought or made/created here), I could maybe get away with only one panel wide and the molding would help support the edges of the panels. I would probably paint it white to match the new ceiling and blend it in since the room is so small.

My questions for you are:

**Has anyone here done anything similar to this? Advice?
**Does anyone have pictures of ceiling mold ideas that I might consider?
**Do you think the molding would look okay in such a small room?
**Has anyone used this type of adhesive on ceiling tiles? Does it work, or is there a better option?
**Does anyone have other ideas for how to go about this? Will the brads and glue work?

I am also going to look around to see if there are other options that would give me the same look. If you know of any, I'd really appreciate it.

The site I found:
http://vintageceilings.com/pictures.html

Thanks for any help. I know that if it is possible to do, you are the people that can talk me through it.
Arlo

I looked at that site and you need more like four sheets of the material at 19.99 plus shipping and molding. Tin ceilings and look a likes are tricky because you need to center them perfectly or it looks weird. It can be done but it's not realistic for me. I'm personally not detail oriented enough. I think it's pretty expensive too. Someone on this site once papered her ceiling with embossed wallpaper and then painted it. I think the photo is in the albums. I think it was Busybee52. I might have the name wrong. She did a great job. I've seen that embossed paper at Lowes. I have contemplated covering my ceilings with beadboard and painting it. You can get the individual strips or get it in a 4x8 sheet for about $18.00 and then put crown molding on the edge. But Santa still didn't bring me a power compound mitre saw! Boo hoo.
Yanita

Hi,

LOL, well I guess it from your point of view on this...first it is completely do able in the sense that it is not to much weight.

I have looked at some similar tiles at Lowe's, again they are they styrofoam tin look a likes. Spendy though, something like 36.00 per 18x18 tile...I need 16 for the livingroom alone. That is not going wall to wall, more of just a squared area around the ceiling fan.

I would really like to create a faux tray ceiling, the center being these faux tin ceiling panels. Annnd being the women I am I also would like to create something similar on the dining room ceiling.

As Arlo mentioned there are the 4x8 sheets of bead board, BUT, I am not sure that these should be installed over the original ceiling panels. not sure about the weight factor. guess we could get some of the guys to determine that. It would definitely depend on your roof trusses.

I am thinking it was Koi Flowers that did her ceiling in the wallpaper. It looked great, maybe Pat (BusyBee) has done it as well. LOL, I have procrastinated for 21/2 years on painting my ceilings, I could not fathom trying to wallpaper them.

Let us know what you decide.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Arlo

Yeah my neck has been hurting ever since I started thinking about it. My textured ceilings have no stains and are not bowing so I'm in good shape. The beadboard would need to be tacked and glued along ceiling joists. It's only a 1/4 inch thick so in my case the weight wouldn't be too much. But of course it would be me, left handed with ADD so it would take longer than it should. I like to look at all the angles Sally, I don't mean to pooh-pooh your ideas.
summergardener

You were right Yanita. It was Koiflowers, and I found those pictures. It is beautiful! I'll look into that wall paper when I go to Lowes. If you read this Koiflowers, can you post some more pictures? Or anyone else that has tried something similar. This might just work. It makes my neck hurt thinking about it also. Bead board would also be nice. ...any pictures of a ceiling done with it?
summergardener

viewtopic.php?t=2481&highlight=ceiling

This is the link for the topic that included Koiflowers pictures. The topic is locked.
GraceNC

I'm doing this in my hallway and maybe in my living room between the beams.

Lowes/HomeDepot sell the faux tin that is really lightweight and cutable w/o injury.

I start the project this weekend.
summergardener

Please post pic.s and keep me filled in on how it is going. My project won't start for a while. Got behind here when I caught a nasty virus.