snow snow go away !

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

troyster

shouldn't have removed winter tires till first week of April and shouldn't have put snow shovels away in the back of the shed. looks like all spring projects are on hold as mother nature didn't realize the first day of spring was here and gone. pictures in troyster's personal projects album. Checked with kashton and her roof was tarped yesterday so she will be alright.
kashton

I should have called you to go up the ladder, Troyster. I should have taken pics of all the water. At least I could still cook this morn. I actually debated what I was gonna do with everything in the fridge if the power didn't come back on. Thornhill hasn't had power since 7:00pm last night, so I should be happy that ours was only out for a couple of hours. :)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Maureen

What???? Snow tires off vehicles? Snow shovels stored? Whatcha guys thinking up North there?

We got hit Tuesday morning with a snow/ice storm! Our transportation people thought it was Spring also LOL! We don't have Spring here.... we go from 60 to 95 degrees in a heart beat. The thing is, you never know when that heart beat is!

Ryan was suppose to be to work at 7:00, he finally made it in with my truck at 9:30. I kept telling him to just come back home, but he's 20 and just doesn't get it. Warren had to be to work at 10:00. He left at 9:00 am and got to work just fine in his old rear wheel drive boat! Warren saw that the sun was coming out of the clouds, and went with that.

Snow shovel is still on duty on the deck... just in case! Snow tires don't come off until late April here! I know better! But then we've had snow in July here LOL!

Glad to hear that Kashton at least has the tarps up on the roof!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
troyster

I know silly us. I blamed it on my neighbor -he took his snow tires off the day before our snow storm happened. It caught us all by surprise. all the schools were closed, businesses closed due to the storm and power outages and it caught lots of people off guard who put their all season tires on & put their snow shovels/snow blowers away. every year people know never to start gardening till after the May long weekend yet some take the risk and all of a sudden the weather turns around and nips them in the butt. this spring came in like a lamb and is going out like a lion. snow in Nevada at this time of year? good grief none of us are safe. your hubby should invest in a 4x4 -lol.
kashton

It is funny that Troyster mentioned gardening at the end of May. The first year I lived up here, I planted at the end of March. Everyone thought I was nuts. It was a perfect year. Everyone else was just planting at the end of May, and I was planting my second round. Now, I'm lucky if I can get a full crop of Tomatoes in the greenhouse before it starts getting cold again.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
appletonbill

I live in the land of the famous "Frozen Tundra" (GreenBay, WI.) area. It was almost 80 last week, now their talking about snow showers just before next weekend :( . Must be global warming :? . I leave my snow shovel out till July :lol: . I still havn't gotten around to taking down the Christmas lights yet :oops: . Just buy all season tires then you don't have to change them.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Greg

You mean you can take snow tires off??? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

As far as gardening goes here......... Yep I've started cleaning out the beds. Dang my back hurts!

Nope we have an old saying here, and if you know what's good for ya, ya don't plant anything until the snow has melted off Peavine mountain. Now, it's the first of April, and the snow is just about melted off Peavine... but us old timers know that we have one really good snow storm left!

Good years, we can plant the first of May, Normal years, mid May, really bad years, the first of June. Bottom line, you can't rush Mother Nature, it will just cost ya extra bucks in the long run!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Yanita

I remember having to wait that late myself...back when we lived in Vermont.

Seems we no sooner got some pretty blooms and the frost for the upcoming fall was already upon us! Sure can say I don't miss it.

Snow tires, yup, many times I we got caught taking them off to early! LOL, don't miss that either!

Sure do enjoy living in the South! :D

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
busybee1952

Glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering the outrage of this cold blast! My pump and pressure tank froze and broke on Jan. 12, here in Michigan, along with some pipes under the trailer. I replaced the pump and pressure tank 2 weeks ago when it was sunny and warm and at least had water from a hose hooked up in the well house. I tore off all the skirting so that things could dry out underneath and now I have wind whipping under the floors and snow piling up underneath!

I had built sort of a mini greenhouse and had plants started in there which all had to be lugged back into the house last night in blizzard-like conditions. Had to roll up my hose, stuff it in the well house and put a heater in there so I don't have to worry about another freeze up! At least the new furnace was installed also a couple of weeks ago so there's some back up to the wood stove now.

At one time, I thought I was done with Michigan winters and moved to Mississippi for 4 years and hated it! The heat and humidity was so intense that I couldn't even be outside in the summer at all without suffering greatly. I guess we have to take the good with the bad because Michigan trees, lakes, and summers can't be beat in my opinion. The summers just don't last long enough.

I'm always over anxious to get the garden going and so now I just pretty much plan on planting everything twice in the spring. After the long winter, I simply must plant something as soon as soon as good weather appears. It's genetic I think. But this year, at least I only planted in peat pots and not the actual garden.

My sympathies to all who are suffering yet another delay on spring!
Greg

It is strange the way the weater effects us in different areas. Mark in SD has the bitter cold with some snow, I have lots of snow and some bitter cold. Maureen has dry seasons with wild fires Yanita gets the heat & humidity. Then there is the hurricane area.....
I wonder what the perfect weather is? and what the trade offs for it are? Greg
Yanita

Hi Greg,

LOL, I will take the heat and humidity and the occasional hurricanes over anyones 5 months worth of winters. You know when the hurricanes are coming, you prepare the best you can and then get out. In our case since we are far enough from the coast I do not leave. We do not have a river or other large body of water around us to worry about flooding. When we bought this place last year I checked out FEMA's flood map to make sure we were not in any affected areas.

As for the weather pattern...hhmmm, we are suppose to get a real cold snap, like one night back down to freezing temp with hard frost. NOT impressed. The furnace has been off for a little better than 2 weeks! Guess I might need to have Hubby fire it up again.

I have about 30 newly potted flower pots on the back deck, several on the front steps and then all the new plants just put in the ground around our new water feature. Thank goodness I have not done the pool deck yet. I planted about 300 bulbs awhile ago and noticed yesterday many are poking up thru the mulch....guess I better go and get a roll of plastic.... :?

Anyways, I'll take our weather any day, don't forget Robert lives in tornado area! Between mods and admins we have about all extreme weather conditions covered! :shock:

Take care everyone.

~Yanita~
Greg

Oops, I forgot about Robert being in tornado alley. Has anyone heard for our hurrican watcher Rickd? Greg
Yanita

Hey Greg,

Last I heard from RickD he was moving.

Between his work and that, and lord knows how many renovations he is doing he will check back eventually. Unless someone has gotten private email, the last we heard was on the site, the old one that is.

TTYL,

~Yanita~
Maureen

Nope haven't heard from Rick at all. But then we never do this time of year until June, or the first hurricane. I'm sure he'll be back around in a few months! He really is a work horse, and with the move, I'm sure he's got his hands very full!

Hey Greg, you forgot to mention the snow I get here during Winter and the triple digits in the Summer LOL! Just kidding! Yeah, we honestly get just about every type of weather you can think of in our area, with the exception of hurricanes! We did have a very dry Winter this year... and in some ways I'm thanking the big guy up there! On the other hand, because we had the below freezing temps, I could not water and lost a few shrubs this Winter. Not to mention, in another month the powers that be in this area will be screaming drought, while issuing more building permits. Gotta just love that! The bubble has burst, we live in the desert, let's get a grip folks!

People keep screaming about global warming.. and that may be very true, to a point. But, since I was born and raised in this area, I know that what we have been experiencing has been normal over the last 50... ummmm some odd years. We have warm, dry years, and cold years.. and just dang wet and snow up to your ... ummmmmm arms years! The problem is that we're trying to take what little resources we have and make them viable for 4 times as many people. Growth is a huge issue here. Mother Nature can only provide so much!

We're all pretty much acclimated to our climates. Yes, am I very jealous when I hear that Yanita has a lush, green landscape? Ya bettcha LOL! She's buying new plants already, and my fingers are just itching to dig in dirt! As close as I'm going to get to for the next 6 weeks is digging out more beds during the next few wind storms we're due to have.

There's good news though! For the first time in many years, they are predicting 70 degrees for Easter Sunday! Now, this doesn't effect me at all. But all the little ones will have Easter egg hunts this year, outdoors! Some years, it's raining to hard, most years, there's snow on the ground, so this is a really big deal here! I'm so happy for the little ones! They get to actually hunt Easter eggs outside for a change!

From experience, there's nothing nastier, then finding Easter eggs inside your home that were not found a week or two later........

Maureen 8)
'Plato'