Yikes. Freaked. Roof deflection

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dean3

I've got little to do again today so I'll visit this topic a little more :) Its interesting.

Is it possible nwwoman's home was built for a no-snowload zone? My data plate says "North" and shows a map of the zones as they were when it was printed-1976. Has the USA zone map changed over the years?

I can see the need for clear lumber,even with 16" OC trusses instead of 24" OC.

Dean
JD
Site Admin

To not hijack nwwoman's post any more than we already have, let's start a new thread on the roof load subject in the Off Topic forum.

viewforum.php?f=7
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nwwoman

Hi ---

I see the subject of snow load has come up. Yes, my place -- a Rex -- was designed for this climate.

I just learned today that a good friend/CPA/CPF, his double-wide roof here collapsed, same time, from the same snow. His home is being considered for total loss by insurance company as two local contractors have said the walls will not support a new roof (?)

Anway, I encouraged him to visit this forum. We live in a very small market, surrounded by miles of wheat fields. I've found that the stick-frame contractors here don't/can't/won't? provide the level of helpful advice I can get on this forum. I even tried to have two install a tub here for me.. no luck. It's been done as a DIY but we got our how-to's from this forum.

The problem we've had in this market is that our snow load has been signficantly higher than in past decades. Spokane -- 85 miles north -- broke their snow record in just a few weeks when the snow began falling in Dec. We had the entire county shut down -- highways closed -- during last week's snowfall. Given that we live in and are accustomed to snow, that's a signal of how severe it was. Many towns here have had to declare emergencies.

The media hasn't reported it much. That's, I think, because the population here isn't the same number as Seattle or other major metro's so number of people affected is not as large.

When in 24 hours the weather changes from 16 inches of snow to rain, the snow absorbs that rain and you have lead blocks on your roof.

My ceiling looks so much better today. Oddly, it has been going back up!!! It's not perfect. But someone yesterday came in and said that if I had not pointed out the swag in the ceiling, they would not have noticed.

Problem not solved. But at least my freak out stage has passed.

More on this this weekend. I do need to work on the ceiling and will need some clarification of past posts and help.

Enjoy sunshine..if it's in your area!!
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60
Yanita

Hi,

I am locking this thread as the original roof/ceiling question has been answered. please follow JD to the Off Topic forum to discuss "snow loads".

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!