Bathroom floor repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AbbottsManor

I need your help in deciding if I can replace this floor myself. The house has been replumbed, the recovery company has fans and a dehumidifier running for days, all that is left to be done is the floor, insulation/underbelly and vanity! The first pic shows warped flooring right up against the tub and wall. The floor in front of the vanity is warped up to the Oak divider strip at carpet and some water damage to floor in closet. My biggest concern s under the walls as the wall the vanity is against is an outside wall. It is about a 5 x 10 ft area. I understand the steps to replace the floor and have Mark's book. The original flooring was linoleum with a layer of sticky tiles. I am concerned about relaying linoleum in 2 layers to even the floor out. The remaining sticky tiles will be removed. I also need to replace the insulation, the underbelly material is mostly intact except where the recovery co. cut it to drain water. I already have a check from the insurance co. but would like to keep as much of that as possible to pay for the replumb. Any guidance would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Chris

Yanita

Hi,

If you have the knowledge, tools and health to do this job then certainly you can do it.

Personally I would completely gut this bathroom. Certainly water got underneath the tub so that will no longer be solid flooring. I would junk the vanity and go to a Habitat resale store and possibly find another to your liking. About everything comes cheap there.

I do not understand about laying 2 layers of linoleum to level out the floors. If you replace the subfloor then you would float all the seams and screw heads. Some vinyls require a luan over the subfloor as well. I always lay down luan to get a real flat smooth finish, again floating all edges and screw heads.

Plumbing, you are confusing me there also, in the beginning you said your home has been replumbed, then at the end you need to save money for the replumb...either or, plumbing is really not that difficult, there are many here that can get you through that as well.

I am not sure how deep the water in that room got but I would certainly want to remove at least the lower sections of the wall board and replace the insulation there as well. Once wet or if it wicked up any water it is now junk. You could replace the lower portion of the walls with say maybe a beardboard type wallboard.

Getting under the walls is a PITA but it can be done. Harry has pictures posted of his job that he did. Others have done it as well.

The underbelly will probably need to be opened up a little more than it already is so you can check out all the insulation that was near the water damage. Mark sells everything you need to repair it.

I guess the question you need to answer is are you up for a major renovation...

I am sure others will chime in with other thoughts.

Merry Christmas,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Chris, Replacing the subfloor is not a difficult job, but make no mistake, it is not a quick job. For a room that size plan on at least a day to get it right. There is really no quick way to remove the old floor along the walls, Chisel & sawsall are about the quickest way.

As Yanita said, I would gut the room, It will make it faster since you will not have to work around things. If you have a Mr Seconds near you they have nice vanities for around $100., For that kind of money the old one is not worh messing with.

It may be a little overwelming thinking about gutting the room, but once you start you will see that it is indeed much easier, plus you can change the layout if you want. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

If/when you do this under the wall repair make sure to use caution, electrical and plumbing can be about anywhere in these homes.

Hopefully you have some cordless tools and you can turn the power off while you are cutting under the walls.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
AbbottsManor

Yanita wrote:

I do not understand about laying 2 layers of linoleum to level out the floors. If you replace the subfloor then you would float all the seams and screw heads. Some vinyls require a luan over the subfloor as well. I always lay down luan to get a real flat smooth finish, again floating all edges and screw heads.

Iam trying to avoid removing the toilet to do the floor under it. I can just remove the tiles and linoleum and recover the whole floor.

Plumbing, you are confusing me there also, in the beginning you said your home has been replumbed, then at the end you need to save money for the replumb...either or, plumbing is really not that difficult, there are many here that can get you through that as well.

We paid 1/3 of the replumb, I was hoping to save some of the insurance pay out to go towards the bill.

I am not sure how deep the water in that room got but I would certainly want to remove at least the lower sections of the wall board and replace the insulation there as well. Once wet or if it wicked up any water it is now junk. You could replace the lower portion of the walls with say maybe a beardboard type wallboard.

The water leak was just under the floor, no water was on top of the floor at all. I don't see any damage to the walls themselves as the linoleum extends under the walls.
Charley711

We successfully replaced part of the subfloor in the master bathroom, leveled the floor, backer board and tiled in our 11 year old doublewide. The subfloor is key to everything else. We added additional supports under the toilet area, around the floor vent and right outside the shower stall.

GOOD LUCK!
Focus on Something Postive!