Moldy & Icy Window Sills - Fix ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Teresa73

Hi Everyone,

Long time no see, hope everyone had a great Christmas, and a will have a wonderful New year. Now, sadly onto business...

I noticed while doing some winter cleaning, that a few of my windows (the huge window in our bedroom is the worst) have black stuff (mold I assume), fuzzy looking ice build up, and water or frozen spots of water on the fake wood sill.

The sills are deep, at least 3 - 5 inches. Made from some thin type of material that is covered in paper that looks like wood. There are 2 seperate windows in each sill, one on the 'outside' of the home, and one on the 'inside' of the house.

The glass for each window is thin, not double paned or anything special. Plus I think it's aluminum around the windows which hold them in. It looks and feels like thin steel with some screws through it into the walls (at least on the inside of the home).

We live in Michigan, and the weather is pretty wacky here. Today it was blowing wind like a tornado was hitting us, and we had a yard full of mud. A few days ago it was 10" of snow, and then freezing rain. So, we get snow, rain, ice, etc. Plus a lot of blowing wind where the MH park is located.

I hope all the info helped explain it.. sorry if I gave TO much info, better safe than sorry though.

The mold and water damage is gross, plus I'm worried about what is happening under the sill in the wall below the window (don't see anything yet through the wall itself). There also is no window shade (awning), no shutters that work, and we have no gutters or over hang on our shingled roof. It's a 1995 Mansion or Manson home we were told. Single wide, with vinyl siding.

Argh *finger cramp from typing so much* ok, how should I go about fixing this? If it was solid wood I would bleach it, and caulk the crud out of the window sills on the inside.. I don't think I should bleach and scrub paper covered cardboard or whatever this fake wood is that frames the inside of all our windows.

Oh, and yes the windows seem to have condensation on them all the time. I don't remember the stick house I grew up in having wet window panes. Am I running the indoor temp at the wrong temp, need new and better windows, or just get use to it in a mobile home?

As always all my appreciation for your help in advance, and sorry for the long post over some mold and sweaty windows. o.O

- Teresa

P.S. Would I use KILLZ over the fake paper wood stuff ? Would that even work on this flimsy cheap stuff that has super thin paper glued to it ? *bangs head on desk* I hate this fake paper wood!
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
steve

I also live in Michigan and have gone thru the same crazy weather cycle. The condensation forms because you have single pane windows. All you can do is change window to insulated glass, add storm windows or add plastic window treatment for winter weather. Not only is condensation forming on the glass but also the frame. The mold can be cleaned with bleach, caulked and painted with semigloss (anti mold additive) paint. Until you deal with the glass issue all you can do is continually wipe up the water. (dont leave towel on sill because this will not let water evaporate.
Teresa73

steve wrote:I also live in Michigan and have gone thru the same crazy weather cycle. The condensation forms because you have single pane windows. All you can do is change window to insulated glass, add storm windows or add plastic window treatment for winter weather. Not only is condensation forming on the glass but also the frame. The mold can be cleaned with bleach, caulked and painted with semigloss (anti mold additive) paint. Until you deal with the glass issue all you can do is continually wipe up the water. (dont leave towel on sill because this will not let water evaporate.
Thank you very much Steve. New windows it is come tax time then (hopefully). The rest of your advice will be followed for now, anything to stop this wet mess (and it all sounds like good advice).
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
Yanita

Hi,

Steve is correct about this.

Also many folks fail to use the exhaust vents adequately in the winter months. Make sure to use vents when cooking and showering. Leave running up to 1/2 hour after each.

There are many things beyond bathing and cooking that adds moisture to the interior of our homes...plants, breathing...etc...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!