Carpet rippeling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peachlizzard

I have noticed in the past year that most of my carpets are starting to ripple in the house. The living room (we spend most of our time there) is the worst of all. The house is 7 years old. Do I just need it streached? Or should it all be replaced? Why does it do this? Any ideas are appreciated!
Greg S

It is most likely rippling because it is stretching. You simply need to have it re stretched and trimmed around the edges or you could do it yourself if you can get a "kicker" from a carpet installer. Tool rental places may have them.
Greg

Rhonda, The carpet is streached, you can either get a "Kicker" and redo it your self or have someone do it for you. One thing to remember is that it is also wearing out. You can buy yourself some time, but start planning on new flooring. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
peachlizzard

Am I wrong with thinking that the carpet goes under the walls? I was told that they put flooring down and then the walls? So how do I tear it out or stretch it if that is the case?
Tim M

I just replaced my carper this past summer. Had heard the same thing about carpet being under the walls. Mine wasn't. Try pulling up a corner such as in a closet. If it's not under the wall there, you're probably ok else where. Part of the rippling could also be from the padding breaking down in traffic areas. Anyway....that's my experience.
Greg

Usually there are tack strips along the walls, I don't think that I have ever seen carpet run under the wall. I have seen vinyl , but not carpet. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

My Oakwood singlewide had carpet going under the interior walls. I guess if you want to have it stretched you would need to cut the carpet close to the walls with a utility knife. Of course then you would have to have tack strips put down and then the carpet stretched.

Personally I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. MH usually have the cheapest carpet and padding that is available.

A few years ago a friend of mine had there carpet stretched, the carpet was 8 years old and it ripped from the stretching...it was basically dry rotted on the bottom.

JMO,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
peachlizzard

I apprecaite your advise and this website more than you will ever know. I plan to fix the place up so we can keep it as long as possible. My son would like to live in it when we build a few years from now. Thanks everyone!