Need Suggestions for Kitchen Cabinets

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

georgia

I would like to have my cupboards an off white or antique color of some sort. My painting skills are horrible. I've read and read about how to paint but I just don't seem to be able to do it right. I end up with runs and places that just don't look right. Anyway is there a painting method that will help cover mistakes? I've read a lot on line and had decided that I might could do the crackle look but after I saw a picture of a kitchen done in white crackle that looked horrible I changed my mind. I would like the cabinets to have an old look. Not distressed but something else. There are lots of instructions on line but none seem to be specific enough like in telling what kind of paints to use. Can anyone offer suggestions?
Greg

If you are getting runs, there is possibly 2 problems, Cheap paint will give you a poor finish, or you may be putting too heavy of a coat, use light coatsand let it dry between coats. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
georgia

Is Baer cheap? I have no idea. I just don't have the knack for painting. I was hoping someone could suggest a method of painting that would hide mistakes.
Yanita

Hi,

Are you meaning Behr paint. I have used it before and have been satisfied with the results.

As for hiding mistakes I guess I need to know what you are hiding.

First of, preparation is key to any paint process.

You would need to completely clean the cabinets, let dry and maybe even a light sanding to remove and shiny finishes or dents scratches from years of use.

As Greg said, if you are getting runs then you are using to much paint at one time. The runs that are present now will need to be sanded out.

As for painting techniques, most quality paint stores have little brochures/pamphlets that give step by step instructions on how to get the look you desire. I typically take an old piece of paneling and try my new techniques there. When it is time to try another I simply use the same piece of wood just prime first to get rid of the first idea.

If you need further help please post back.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Arlo

Sand the cabinets lightly. Wipe them down with deglosser and steel wool. Prime with a high adhesion primer. Some folks like Kilz 2 Latex but I use Zinser Bullseye. You'll probably need a quart for your kitchen and have plenty left over. Both are available where Behr is sold. Cut in corners and hard to reach areas first. Paint about 2-3 LIGHT coats. First coat does not necessarily make old dark finish disappear. I like to use foam brushes and a 4" foam cigar or mini roller for a really smooth finish. If it's going on goopy and runny you're using too thick a coat. You'll have to sand off any goopy areas. Your painting skills will improve with practice so maybe you should start with a small project like a chair or step stool first. Behr paint is a pretty good choice. This all will seem to take forever but it's a lot cheaper than new cabinets.
georgia

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'm not very good at expressing myself.
I've read article after article about "how to paint". It's the actual doing of it that I'm not any good at. I know about the cleaning, the sanding, letting dry between coats, too much paint, cheap paint, and so forth. Knowing and doing are too different things. I'm just not a good painter.
Anyway, thanks again.
Yanita

Hi Georgia,

I am sorry for your dilemma but other than telling you what we already have I really see no way of being able to tell you or make sure you achieve the desired effects you want. Practice makes perfect.

As I said in my earlier post practice your techniques on a scrap piece of wood.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Baer is one of the top rated paints. I have seen people use off brand cheap ($1-2/gal.) and expect great results.

Try lighter coats, I know what it's like to want to hurry, but there are some jobe that you just can't hurry. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lgreen35

hello all,
Well painting can be a nightmare for sure.

I cam across this site that may help you figure it out or get someone who can.

great tips here....kitchen contractors
gandjsmom

Have you thought about trying a technique such as sponging? If you sponged a slightly darker color over a lighter it will give you a slightly aged look. It's virtually impossible to mess up sponging and it will cover any inperfections like runs.