Thermostat

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Tim M

I would like to replace my wall thermostat but am unsure what type to use. There is about a 7 - 1o degree temp difference before it turns the furnace on. I see no way of adjusting the variance on the one we have now. We are getting cold before the furnace kicks on then we are 'cooking' before it stops. My furnace is a Coleman and I have to switch it to heat and cool on the furnace itself. Can I use a heat only thermostat or what do you recommend? Getting tired of getting up and down adjusting the temp.
Robert

Hi,

IF you switch heat and cool and the fan-on-auto at furnace, you have a 2 wire system.

In that case, yes, you can use a heat only t-stat .

It will have to be for electric, gas or whatever type heat source you have also.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Tim M

Thanks Robert! Someone told me that a heat only thermostat wouldn't work in reverse when I switched it to cooling. All the stat does is set the temp. Switching between cool and heat and running the fan is done on the furnace itself. You've been a big help. Thanks again!
Robert

Hi,

Inside the a/c control box with the 2 switches on front is a thermostat reversing valve that controls a/c.

IF you ever have this 2 wire system and the t-stat also has the heat-off-cool switch, leave it set to HEAT at all times.

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?