Hanging items on my walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peachlizzard

Hello all....I have a question about the paneling or very thin wallboard I have in our home. We have the vinyl coated wallboard that is extremely thin. I am having a very difficult time hanging anything on them..Everything I try to use, I make huge holes. We even had to tear off the toilet paper holder cause it started coming loose. Any suggestions? Apparently there are not that many studs in our walls. Thanks for any help!
markow05

Rhonda -
I too had that problem until I saw those Hercules Hooks advertised by Billy Mays on TV. Those suckers hold up to about 50lbs or more and best of all...they don't cause big holes or tears in the wall board. It's a pin hole and their so easy to use!!

As for the toilet paper holder coming loose.....hmmm I haven't a clue as to why it did that unless it was glued on and not screwed in.

Good luck! :D
Yanita

Hi,

This is a common problem in mobile homes. Have never used the hooks described so can not comment on those.

I have had great success with using push pins, the tacks with big heads on them for the lighter weight pictures.

For items like towel racks, toilet paper holders, and heavier pictures etc I always have had to use plastic anchors if you are unable to locate a stud.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
peachlizzard

Thanks so much for your info. I have used the plastic anchors in the wall (the toilet paper holder incident) and the anchors just putt right out after time. They were the red ones, but I think maybe the problem with those is that they don't "spread" behind the wallboard. Am I needing to get those kind? Or is that not what you were talking about?
Popsicle_toes

Personally, i've had really good luck with the wall anchors that hammer in, then screw tight to bend the metal on the opposite side. ( a molly bolt) That said, they didn't work well in a stick house that we later found out had a moisture and mold issue.. In that place, they would almost hammer through! Image
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
peachlizzard

Thanks so much poscicle toes! I hope those work for me. I am so sick and tired of putting the tp on the garden tub! Hillbilly I know! My husband however, loves it on the garden tub!
yourpcguy73

damn finally i couldnt post.
ya i like the metal ones.
drill the hole and tighten them up then take the bolt out and mount your item.
my mom uses the plastic ones tho.