Getting out

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jim from Canada

Well, I guess we are putting the place up for sale. Even though we love it and most of our nieghbours, and the lot. The Landlord just keeps increasing and increasing fees and charges and the Landlord-Tenant Board does not seem to be on board in helping to stop him. We cannot get advice or action at any level. At the same time, the park is going downhill at an alarming rate. It will be cheaper to sell the place and get a mortgage on a stick built. It would be ideal to find a piece of land to move the home to, but they are increasingly rare. We should be talking to the realtor early next week. We are both crying,,,,literally.

Jim
Greg

Well Jim, don't feel alone. Many of us here are in the same boat, I just don't feel comfortable with a mortage right now given the state of the economy. Plus at 51 do I really want a 20-30 yr mortage?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Oh Jim I feel so bad for you guys.

I completely understand about not wanting a mortgage at our age. I was so leery about selling the single wide in the park a few years back. That home was paid for.

Even now with excellent credit loans are very hard to come by. I was lucky in the fact I made the move before the economy took a header.

I can say I got an excellent "divorce" deal. The people that owned this place before us was getting a divorce, they both wanted out quickly, so the price was cheap and I was fortunate enough to be able to put 1/2 down in cash and fiance the rest.

With the economy such as it is there are alot of foreclosures happening...do your research and maybe you can find something that way. Some banks are settling for pennies on the dollar almost.

Please keep us posted. Hey Greg there is a double wide across the street from me that is for sale, 3 large bedrooms, kitchen, dining, 3 baths, garage, carport, front porch and a screened in back porch, fireplace, and separate utility/laundry area/entrance,has at least 3/4 acres, $60,000.

Ummm, a pool which is across the street, LOL, summer dues are cheap, bring your own steak!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Is that the same one that was for sale a year ago? Sandy said NO to the 3 bathrooms. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Yeah, same home, typo on the bathrooms, should of read 2 of them.

The owner rented it out for awhile and soon realized that the folks he rented to were not compatable to the neighbors.

Yanita
Harry

Yep

I once lived in a park. It was torture.

Glad I moved to the boonies.

Hope you find something to your liking.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Jim from Canada

Looking for lots is our first choice. We put so much of ourselves into this place. Hoping for an agent with a connection.

Jim
Greg S

Jim

What fees and charges do you have beyond lot rent.
Does he give reasons for increases or does he just arbitrarily increase rates.
What response did the board come back with to support the landlord.
Is the owner relatively new and trying to pocket higher profits.
Is the park up to date on it's fees or is the landlord trying to catch up with the going rates.
The average lot rent in Ontario is $250-$275 per month (plus water, sewer, garbage, taxes etc). Is it a case of low rents (rent controlled) that he is trying to compensate for with higher fees for water etc.
Jim from Canada

Well, we have the basic rent and taxes, but we just found out that he has tacked a bunch on to the assesment value. $20,000 five years ago, and the LTB only will go back one. Averaging about $5000 to assesment now. He raised rent above guidline (which we went to the tribunal and got it from 5% over, every year for 5 years, to 4% 1st year and 3.43% the next) which is good because it was to put in a water filtration system. Now he is charging for water testing (was covered in the increase above guidline previously). In the water testing charges he is including labour, repairs, milage, etc. etc.). The bills have gone up 50% in the last year. The kicker is, we have been under boil water advisories for 60% of the year in 2007 and so far we have had 217 days under PBA this year. The park is degrading fast and creeps are moving in (see former rants on bad nieghbours lol). He actually sued us and won, our idiot legal advisor didn't present the evidence or ask any of the questions we wanted to ask, or call witnesses. But he made good money, and gave all the reasons for doing it his way. A$$#*^E! So here we are, several people in the park with rashes, buying bottled water or boiling it. Paying for a service we don't get, in a dump. People are moving out, the landlord takes over the lot, but doesn't charge that lot for testing, so the bills go up because he is dividing it by progressivly less tenants. We've had enough!

end of rant
Jim
Greg S

It is definitely time to get out before the value of your home is pulled down by the growing bad reputation that your community is going to experience. It is unfortunate and most likely the owner will turn around and sell the park at an overly inflated value forcing the next owner to raise fees as well to turn a profit.
High fees is one thing but diminished quality of tenants is a real value killer.
lefties

Hope it all works out for ya Jim :D
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Yanita

Hey Jim,

Have you found anything yet? Please keep us posted on whats happening.

Yanita
Jim from Canada

Nothing yet, we will be stuck here for a while. I am being laid off for a month, so resources are scarce. It has to get better than this!

Jim
Yanita

Wow Jim,

When it rains it pours! Hopefully you knew this layoff was coming, not that that makes it any better.

Well you and Sal can settle in for yet another winter, maybe get some affirmative plans in the works and do a little research on moving yours and finding that perfect piece of land!

Take care and please keep us posted on things.

Yanita
Jim from Canada

Apparently WSIB (Workers Compensation) is discussing re-training for me (at my age, lol, I thought Sal had me trained pretty well). Anyways, may be an oppourtunity to get out of Southern Ontario all together. We are on the hurry up and wait list still.

Jim