Need help with Molding

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

georgia

We are pulling up carpet in a bedroom and putting down laminate flooring. Since there was no shoe molding before and the wall strips go all the way to the floor my husband wants to know if anyone can advise him on how to put the molding down since the wall strips stick out. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
Yanita

Hi,

I am assuming you are referring to the battens on the wall. The strips that cover the seams between 2 pieces of wall board?

You can remove the desired amount with a chisel.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

You should leave a gap on all sides, I think it's 1//4" (check the instructions on the flooring) to allow the floor to expand & contract with the tempature. If you need to use a chisle as Yanita said. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I also recommend laying down a bead of caulking were the floor and wall meet on the exterior walls. Or you could use a low expanding foam insulation, this will help reduce any possible drafts.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Are you putting a full baseboard or just adding 1/4 round?

Jim
georgia

We are using quarter round. He said he would try the chisel. Thanks for your replies.
Jim from Canada

Just mitre the corners to 45 degrees. Pick a starting point and work around the room. Make the nicest ones go to the place you see when you first walk in the room. But up against door trim.

Jim