Installing new Dryer Vent...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hey guys.. so I recieved the Dryer Vent (I ordered it thru this website) from you guys and am now ready to install it. I do have the book already, but there's not a step by step in it on that.. lol I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I'm a female and have never done this before. Is it as easy as cutting a hold in the wall and poking the vent thru? Wasn't sure if I could use any sealant or if it would catch fire from the heat.. There wern't any instructions and wasn't sure what to do. I'm sure this is a lame question, but again it's my first time. Thanks and wish me luck :lol: !!!
kamikaze
Greg

Do you have any existing vents? If not you will need to go either through the wall to the outside or down through the floor, make a 90* turn and go though the skirting to the outside. Do not just go down through the floor and let it vent under the home, you do not want any more moisture added under the home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Not a stupid question at all! If you do not know then you need to ask.

Greg asked if you have an existing vent, assuming you know what that looks like. It should be behind where the dryer is installed. It could be on the floor or out through a wall.

LOL, let me rattle some cages around here and see if I can get some one to type you up some step by step instructions.

A quick google and I came across this...

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/installdryervent

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Is the dryer near an outside wall or is it in the middle of the home. If it is next to an outside wall you may be able to go through the wall, if there are only inside walls around it you will have to go through the floor and out through the skirting. Greg
kamiller73

Hi guys. Here are pics of where the dryer is located. It's right next to outside wall. As you'll see it's venting thru the floor inside, but there's no outside vent in the skirting or on wall. I'm also sending a pic of the vent itself because I wanted to ask about the metal thing. It's not actually metal it's another kind of material and not sure if it's better than using a metal pipe. My roomate said it is because metal would heat up and stay hot and this material wouldn't. What do yall think? Thank you so much for the link Yanita and thank you both for replying. I'll let yall know how it goes. Oh yea, one more question. On the Vent itself, you'll see the bottom part comes off so I can clean it every now and then and wanted to ask if it's wise to maybe cover this with a panty hose or something to keep the bugs from crawling inside the dryer? Really hate bugs and if not it's understandable. Ok thanks!!!

kamikaze
Yanita

Hi,

Whew, your install job just got a whole lot easier. The biggest job is already done.

Ok, the vent in the picture is vented to under the home. It needs to be brought out thru the vinyl skirting.

Throw the white plastic slinky type venting hose. Although they are still sold they are against code. You will need to get hard pipe, I believe 4 " round stove pipe. Determine how much pipe you will need, the straightest route with the least bends is preferable.

Once the plastic tubing is removed, clean the vent, then run a coat hanger down the vent so you will be able to see it from under the home.

The yucky part, remove some skirting in the area were you know the vent is located, crawl under and find the vent from underneath. Attache your new hard piping and vent thru the side of the vinyl. There are kits sold at the local big box stores that you will show you how to install the vent hood.

NO, do not use panty hose for any reason in your venting. This traps lint and becomes a fire hazard. You can buy a can of spray foam insulation and go around the interior vent penetration and seal any gaps. DO NOT let the foam get into the actual vent itself, just seal up around the outside of the vent.

There are a few threads on this I believe, just in case you want to review them as well.

Hope we helped and if you need further help please let us know.

Yanita
Robert

Hi,

Get aluminum smooth walled piping, do not get galv. pipe as it is heavier and also tends to rust bad under home over time.

Use only foil backed duct tape, no screws to seal around joints.

No more than 3 - 90* ells. Yours will need 3 unless you make a new hole straight out from dryer and seal up old hole.

Straight pipe out of dryer, then either a 90 ell down thru new hole or a 90 ell over to old hole and then another 90 ell down thru floor.

Then straight pipe down and exit underbelly and then a 90 ell toward skirting and straight pipe out thru skirting.

Connect to outside dryer vent hood attached at skirting , usually requires some wood support, be sure wood is treated for ground contact.

Tell your roomie that plastic venting is a human death certificate, seen it too many times to forget.

The aluminum won't get or stay hot enough to be of any problem.

Now, if you hired me or that was my home, here's what I would do.

Straight aluminum smooth walled pipe out of dryer, cut hole in wall and run straight out and connect to dryer vent hood attached to wall.

Seal old floor hole and go under and seal underbelly hole.

No 90* ells and an easy as pie to clean dryer vent.

One straight section of pipe and a vent hood plus a roll of foil backed duct tape is all you'll need.

Be sure to check wall for pipes or wires first.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Thank you Robert... :D

Yanita
Robert

Hi Yanita,

You're very welcome. :)

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kamiller73

Hey guys.. dummie here forgot to send the pics of the vent i have. As you can see in the pic it's not an actual metal pipe, it's a metal like material. would I still have to go through the skirting with this particular vent? Think it might look better going thru the wall. What do yall think??

kamikaze
Greg

six of one, half dozen of the other. what ever is easier for you to do. That is aluminum tubing, you will be fine with it, but remember it does bend very easily. Greg
Robert

Hi,

Like Greg said, either way. If you go down through floor, you'll come out through skirting.

If you go straight out from dryer and through the wall (what I would do :wink: ), it still works.

Robert
kamiller73

Hey guys... well I did it. YEA!!! Wanted to make sure it worked good and tested it a few days first, but I have to say it was pretty easy. I didn't seal up the hole in the floor from underneath though, just placed another sticky tile on top of hole :lol: . Lazy way I know. The black stuff you see on the wall is tar (I guess - lol) Didn't know it was gonna be black, but heat resistant. I used the foil duct tape (along with the wire tie) to attach the hose to the pipe thing and when I scooted the dryer back in, I put a piece of the foil tape to keep the hose even. I will say this, when the dryer runs it no longer gets hot in the place. LOL. Thanks for all your advice and help. Next.... bathroom vents.. lol

kamikaze
Robert

Hi,

Sure wish you had went with smooth walled aluminum pipe and a 90* ell instead of the foil flex.

That foil flex is better than the plastic, but still can be easily crushed and not allow heat and lint out which can lead to a fire.

Watch it closely and keep it cleaned out.

You should seal up the hole in the underbelly where the old pipe protruded through to prevent heat/cool loss.

Glad you got it completed, congrats.

Robert