dryer venting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

butch2

my washer and dryer are in the hallway .

I've only recently become concerned over the poor set up of dryer venting the previous owner and manufacturer came up with

the dryer isnt against a wall for easy venting ,it is in the hallway .The vent journey begins naturally from behind the dryer /then through a hole in the panelling/then obviously down through the underbelly .Once it gets out of the underbelly theres a long 20+ foot run to the crawl space door in which it vents out through (yes , theres a hole through my crawl space access door for the dryer to vent through .

I'm thinking of cutting a 4' diameter hole through the cinder block skirting and running rigid dryer vent pipe to the closest point to the dryer (would be approx 5 feet from outside cinder block wall to where the dryer vents through underbelly portion )I would then unattach the 20+ foot run of aluminum flex duct and replace it with new stuff from the dryer through the underbelly part then attach to the rigid aluminum thats installed already from the cinder block in 5 or so feet

does this sound like a better way to vent or am I doing this for nothing

by doing it the new way I believe I'm cutting it down to a 10 foot run from dryer/underbelly to the cinder block as opposed to 20+ feet of aluminum flex venting through the crawl apce doorway

I'll also be able to build a few new crawl space doors without having to incorporate a slot for dryer to vent through (I like the ones mark has made --nice stuff !)

2 cents , anyone ?
butch2

also wanted to add --should I insulate the rigid duct with anything to prevent condensation ?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Butch. I think that is an excellent plan. When it some to dryer vents, the shorter and straighter the better. I don't have an answer on the insulation question. We never do that in my area, but we do not have extreme cold weather.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
butch2

thanks j.d
Yanita

Hi,

Great idea, anything to lessen the distance and get rid of flex tubing. As for insulating, I now live in the south, but when I was up north we did not insulate it and never had a problem.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
butch2

I'm thinking I'd rather not insulate either .I'd actually like the heat radiating from the venting while the dryer is on to help keep the crawl space warmer .