Wall mounted bathroom fans....J.D....talk to me!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldfart

J.D. I noticed in another post ya mentioned wall-mounted bathroom fans. Tell me more. Yes, I hear they're not as efficient as a ceiling mounted fan/light unit..but...how well do they work? See, I have an old 12x70s.w. and the only way to exhaust the warm moist air thru the roof would be to cut a hole in the roof. Hmmm? I don't cotton much to cuttin' a hole in the roof. Hasn't leaked in 38 years (1970) and I don't want to provoke it! Also, there is precipous little room in that "attic." Running the elec. isn't a problem...I'm gutting the bathroom and do my own elec. work. I might have enough room to run the exhaust ductwork out behind the shower plumbing wall and thru the outside wall..below the roofline..much like a dryer vent only much higher. Oftentimes I've wondered about the efficiency of ceiling mounted units...warm moist air should drop..not rise eh? Well, share yer thoughts with me my friend. Audie..the Oldfart.
Mark
Site Admin

The sidewall exhaust fans found at the bottom of this page are often found in bathrooms as well as kitchens: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order9- ... ml#catalog

Just gotta get power to it.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Audie,

Again, no science involved on my part. I majored in hanging out. But I have always noticed steam from showers collecting at the ceiling and then working it's way down. If you use the sidewall fan like this one Mark suggests
it would usually go straight through the wall in the bathroom. I don't know why you couldn't go through an interior wall and metal pipe it out of the next room. I would think it would cut down on efficiency and the sidewall fan is less efficient to start with, but it would still help remove a lot moisture I would think.

I can understand being reluctant to put a hole in your roof. When I go out on roof leak calls, if it is not an edge leak, that is the first place I look. Properly installed though, it should not be a leak problem unless it is years past proper roof maintenance time. Then again, it seems I am on a roof for one reason or another just about every week for the last 20 some years, well almost every week. So I may be guilty of minimizing what that experience does for me when I say that roof vents are easy.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dirty White Boy

I have one over my stove...best 50 bucks I ever spent.
oldfart

Hmmmm? Well fellers I knew ya'll would come thru. Now what piqued my interest was a post by BrendaOH that showed a small closet/shelf just to the right of her new tub install. Look at that top shelf. Eh? Just the right spot to put in a wall-fan to exhaust that warm moist air from the bathroom..eh?? If I go with the 48in. shower stall there would be enough room on the right-hand side of it for just such a closet/shelf. The top shelf would be a wall-fan unit. Easy to install and just cut a hole out thru the outside wall and run the ductwork. Pipe it thru alum. ductwork and exit via a standard dryer-vent type. Yes...I could use the old-style range-top style fan that was shown as well. Excellent idea fellers! Mind ye I'm having a hard time locating wall-mounted fans at present. H.D doesn't seem to carry them in the Nu-Tone line. I'll check Lowes and the Braun line of fans. Many thanks to all! Audie..the Oldfart....
Dirty White Boy

You won't have much luck with the bigger home improvement stores...try ace hardware
JD
Site Admin

The side wall fan (V2111-13 Sidewall Exhaust Fan) shown in the picture above is available through Mark, here at mobilehomerepair.com. Just click on the above picture or look it up in Books & Parts. Maybe you don't like that one, I dunno. But I have not seen premium quality, low sone, sidewall exhaust fans anywhere. Let us know if you find one.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
oldfart

Aye J.D. one of my concerns has been the noise of the fans I've looked at. I rekkin' life is a trade-off. In order to move a lot of air at eyeball-level these fans git a tad noisier than they do at ceiling height. It's just the way it is. Now, mind ye, it don't matter much to me when I'm all lathered up wailin' away to Albannach and bouncin' off the shower walls in a Celtic dirdge!! But some folks mind the fan noise more than others. I'm still searching my friend..and many thanks. Audie....the Oldfart.
Dirty White Boy

Mine came from a local RV mart. But I was told by my local Ace hardware (the only place I could also fine clutch head drivers...lol)
that they could order me one, but I didn't like the plastic cover...mine is stainless steel on both sides.
mp183

I put one in the wall and that sucker really works.
It's not even all the way up on the wall but it's
a high flow volume fan and it does a great job.