Direct-to-stud shower-wall installations....hmmm?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldfart

Folks I'm peering over the installation instructions for some of the new shower stalls and most of em' talk about attaching the shower walls directly to the studs. Sounds good...but I ain't quite so sure. Most certainly these units are designed for stick-built homes. None of the instructions mentions mobile home or trailers. Hmpf. Matter of fact some of the items at Lowes/H.D. and others specifically say...."Not for use in mobile homes!" Still I'm left puzzled. I intend to stud out my outside walls, insulate and then drywall and then install the new shower unit. My reasoning is simple enough...condensation. I'm presuming a warm plastic/fiberglas wall next to insulation might promote condensation and thusly gammahooch me somewhere down the road. I could be mistaken however...wouldn't be the first time! On the end walls..not such a problem. In a stick-built home where the shower walls aren't on an outside wall..no problem of course. Now if I procede as planned, how best to finish up the edges of the new shower? That flange that extends all the way around the perimeter of the shower stall. Another layer of drywall or plastic trim and caulk? Audie...the inquisitive Oldfart...
steve

That flange is supposed to be behind (or even)with the new drywall. Fill in the gap with quick setting compound and then tape over the joint other wise you get a bulge. I have done it many times like this and never had a crack.
As far as outside wall you could cover it with plastic to stop moisture getting to insulation and be sure to use green board
Yanita

Hi Audie,

We used green board behind our shower units. To cover the flange we installed beadboard panels. One was done with the real beadboard 1/2 thick stuff, the other was with the 1/4 inch.

I don't envy your project, seems we have BTDT with every home we have owned!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!