What should I do with this mess?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

georgia

First I painted a bedroom. I washed the walls with a mild soap and water. I applied 2 coats of Kiltz 2 latex. Then I painted with Baer paint. I thought the paint was sticking. I accidentally got some on the molding which is laminated and there was no way I could scratch it off. About two months later I start on the kitchen. We had removed a fuse box cover and after painting my husband put it back on the same day. I had got some paint on it (long story) and I wanted to get the paint off before he put the cover back on. So a couple days later I took the cover off again and noticed the paint was puckered up around where the fuse box had been. I started pulling and ended up pulling the paint off that whole section of wall. It looks like it has never been painted. Then I started scraping with my fingernail in different areas and sure nuff the paint came off. We called the 800 number on the Kiltz can they said they would refund our money for the Kiltz and the paint. (Haven't received it yet) I still had the receipt. I didn't have the receipt for the Kiltz and paint in the bedroom and have thrown the cans away so can't get the bar code off so I'm out the money there.
My question is what should I do with this mess now? Should I start trying to remove the paint and if so how should I do it? It looks ok but is it going to start peeling off?
mobtek

That's very strange. It sounds like the way a latex would act if you painted over oil based enamel, but that's not the case. Hmmmm...

Can you post pics? It might help.
1989 Fuqua SW
markow05

The only thing I can think of they may have caused this is....

Did you let the walls dry completely after cleaning them with mild soap & water?

Did you let each coat of the kilz dry completely before applying the next coat & paint?

Are you applying the kilz/paint over vinyl wall paper?

Is it real humid in your house or even outside and you have the windows open?

It could be several contributing factors to this problem and quite frankly the other room may peel but highly unlikely since you haven't mentioned that it's bubbling at the surface.

Can you show some pictures?
Yanita

Hi,

I agree with Markow05. About the only other thing I can think of is that you might not of rinsed the cleaned walls thoroughly. I always recommend cleaning the walls with TSP. It etches the walls slightly so the primer gets a good bite...this can be bought at any home improvement store.

To remove the existing paint...well I guess you could peel it off lilke you did the other wall.

I like the others find this odd as I have painted numerous walls in the various mobile homes that I have owned and never had this problem...using the very products you mentioned.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

Why 2 coats of primer?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

Hi,

Many people choose to do 2 coats of primer thinking they need complete coverage of any pre pattern design. Although not necessary I find alot of folks that do 2 coverages of primer.

Not sure this is the reason of the OP, just a guess.

Yanita
georgia

I posted a picture in the album section. As you can see the paint peeled off clean as a whistle. I put two coats of primer because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I don't know much about painting but I read several forums before starting. Maybe I didn't wait long enough between. I don't remember all the things I did or didn't do but I surely hesitate to go any farther with my painting. There is nothing wrong with my walls I'm just sick of looking at them.
Dirty White Boy

When I started painting I used killz, it took at least 2 coats of primer to do 1 of my bedrooms...

I used glidden afterwards and only had to use 1 coat...
annie

Since it is peeling off you may as well help it along and start over Perhaps you can try using drywall mud and a roller and mud the wall first. If you don't want a heavy texture you can water it down a bit. If you do want a heavy texture you may want to use a trowel. Maybe you can try just a small section and see how this does. Then prime and paint. I've used drywall mud for a number of projects and have had no problem with it staying on the walls. Maybe I can eventually figure out how to do pictures and post a few.

Annie
Trudi

Georgia, I'm sorry you had such trouble. That can be so discouraging. Many of these possibilities sound plausible, but, like Mobtek, I think it sounds like a reaction to painting latex over oil based. What was the wall like when you first put the Kilz primer on it? Was it painted before, or the typical mobile home wallboard? I've used regular primer on mh walls before with no problem, but I'm wondering if there is a reason why you might need a "bonding" primer. It bonds with the surface, making it accept paint.

Don't let this get you down. This is not typical at all. Sure hope you find the cause and proceed with your projects. Keep us posted. :)

Annie, I hope you do post pics of your joint compound texturizing projects. It's one of my favorite finishes.
Trudi

Georgia, just found a post on the HGTV (Faux Painting and Finishing) Board, by jodiesmith (I think), who had a very similar problem. The difference is, she wasn't using a primer, but a Kilz paint that supposedly didn't require a primer. She bought it at Walmart, and said that she couldn't even re-load her roller, until the paint was falling off the walls. She also called the company. Some are of the opinion that it's a bad batch of Kilz or something. You might want to go read it for yourself. Hope it helps.
curlylocks

did you paint over the wallpaper? I had a wall that did this and I had to end up pulling the paint back off, and removing the thin vinyl top layer of the wallpaper (looked almost like a thin plastic )and then repaint using a primer
georgia

I don't think there is a vinyl top.
I've been busy scraping the paint off in the kitchen. It's not so hard except around those strips. It's almost like cardboard that has a design on it. I don't know what you call it but I am sick of looking at it.
Any way, it will take a few more days then I have to decide what I'm going to do next.
Yanita

Hi,

Most mobiles either have paneling, wallboard or sheetrock. Wall board is a gypsum with a vinyl coated wall paper factory attached. To remove that would be a heck of a job and no doubt alot of damage to the gypsum. That would require you to mud over it and sand it down smooth.

I have painted numerous wallboard walls. I always wash them with TSP (tri sodium phosphate) that can be purchased at any big box store. Follow directions on the lable. Using any household cleaner will not create the bite that TSP does. Also it does not rinse clear, leaving a slight un noticeable residue.

Make certain that your primer is well mixed, if the can has been sitting around even for a few days it will need to be stirred real well. I use a drill and paint paddle, same with the paint. Each coat of paint and primer should cure at least 24 hours before proceeding to the next one.

Yanita
georgia

Thanks for your instructions. I have a big closet with the same stuff (wallboard I think) so I'm going to try a spot in there before I paint any where else. I'm slow due to so many things going on but I will let you know how it goes.