My a/c is not draining properly...

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

donamy

...and it's not a clogged drain!

I am having water pool up sometimes in my vents, but mostly on the floor of the unit, which eventually leads it under my linoleum. I checked the drain first off, and it was fine so after further inspection there was some rust on the a-coil pan, so I thought I had a pin hole or some leakage there. We replaced the A-Coil and replaced that cheesy flex drain with 3/4 inch PVC with a trap. Same problem. The water appears to be coming over the lip of the pan on the interior of the A-coil but there is not enough water in the pan (it appears to be draining properly) for me to think that it is overflowing. Next step was to install a new Coleman with an enclosed cabinet. So now I have an entirely new 3.5 ton system on the inside (outside unit was replaced a few years ago 3.5 ton 13 seer rheem). Still have a ton of water in the cabinet and draining under my linoleum. So, what do I do now?

Thanks,

-Donnie
Robert

Hi Donnie,

I would call a Tech to have air speed checked and ensure the air is moving through the a-coil.

You have tried the most common and need an experienced eye to find what is causing this.

Your a-coil will produce a lot of water. IF it is draining properly, there will not be a ton of water left to do what you described.

What makes you feel it is coming over the inner lip, but not overflowing ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
donamy

The tech is coming out Monday to reinstall the trap that we took out. I'll have him check the air flow.

What makes me feel that it is being vacuumed over the lip and not just overflowing is because on my original Intertherm the A-coil is exposed. So I can watch the water drain while the unit runs, and then open the cabinet and feel around under the pan and there is a uniform level of water around the entire lip of the a-coil. If it were simply overflowing, I would think that the water would simply overflow from the lowest point in the pan (the front) but its not. That may be flawed logic, but thats the only thing that makes sense to me. Not to mention, I now have an entirely new unit that has run for about 10 days now, I can't imagine that the pan is clogged from the a-leg to the front of the pan. Because the front of the pan that is visible never has more than an 1/8 inch of water in it (the highth of the drain plug).

Thanks,

-Donnie
Robert

Hi Donnie,

Ok, please keep me posted. The trap needs to remain in the drainline IF the a-coil is above the blower and it's a downflow unit.

Hopefully the Tech will resolve this, there are a few things that can create that, but needs to be inspected and tested to find which one it is.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?