Manufactured home,Mobile Home or Trailer???

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Hi Sylvia,

Regardless of how many upgrades we do to our homes, if they start life as you say as a mobile home, they are always a mobile home. They still have the steel I beams underneath.

Ours is listed as real property and we pay the taxes as such, titled has been relinquished, BUT we are still a mobile home dweller. :lol:

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

Maybe ours is more a mf home than most then. We added several more steel beams for the basement project and they're all welded together.
Yanita

Hi,

Manufactured and Mobile are the same thing.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Sylvia,

Yanita is correct! Actually Trailers, mobiles and manufactured are all the same, no matter what you do them! We all have to remember that trailers are now RV's, motor homes and Toy Haulers these days! LOL!

Here's my view on the whole issue really! I've lived in just about everything from high end to very old trailers from the '50's. Personally, I don't care what other's think! Our youngest son still can't get over losing the custom built home we had... oh well! We lost that taking care of my mother until she passed away. We had to assume her medical bills to take care of her properly. That was more important. At just about the same time, I had medical issues of my own to contend with, and couldn't work at the same job that I had had for 22 years.

We sold, downsized quite a bit, until we found this place! I went back to school, we bought this place. The most important thing was that it fit my hubby and I. We're happy, have half the mortgage payment that our friends do, twice as much land, and a comfy home... for us.

Happy, comfy, and money in savings! That's what makes me happy with my home. If we'd had been smarter when we were younger, we'd have done this before building that custom house. We'd both be retired by now.

Maureen 8)
Sylvia

Looking over my post all I thought I said was mh? I meant manufactured home. There is nothing mobile about this home anymore :lol:
kashton

Ours isn't mobile anymore either. Been here too long to even think about moving. I know my brother-in-law likes to make comments to me about being "Trailer trash" but all in all, our trailer has more square footage than their little shack of a house. We didn't have to get a mortgage either. Says on our bill of sale Manufactured Mobile Home. Guess they wanted to make that totally clear. I don't care though, this is our home, and none of us are embarrassed to say where we live. I still would like a newer model on our own peace of property. Man, are the new manufactured homes nice.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
appletonbill

I'll call ours a semi-stationary home. I don't think it would stand up well to a move, and besides there are no wheels underneath. It does have the hitch still attached in the front, but we have two big bushes hiding it. Once in awhile when the wind gets a little stong (40-50 mph) it makes a few creaks and groans. We bought it for 25 payments of $100.00 each. Lot rent was $195.00 when we bought it in 1999, now it is up to $268.00 and that is all we pay for housing.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Jim from Canada

I know what you mean about "semi-stationary" lol. Ours doesn't have the wheels on and the hitch is laying under the home, not attached. I keep trying to keep in mind that I might want to move it some day as the land owner is such a pain! It may even be done at retirement if I could find "the" piece of land. I could just imagine what it would cost for everything tho' lol.

Jim
appletonbill

Jim from Canada wrote:I know what you mean about "semi-stationary" lol. Ours doesn't have the wheels on and the hitch is laying under the home, not attached. I keep trying to keep in mind that I might want to move it some day as the land owner is such a pain! It may even be done at retirement if I could find "the" piece of land. I could just imagine what it would cost for everything tho' lol.

Jim
I would rather have my own piece of land also. The cost of putting in septic, electricity and drilling a well on un-improved land can be quite costly, in the tens of thousands. :shock: .
kashton

We looked into the cost of putting a trailer on land, and it would only cost about 5 thou to put in the septic, gas, etc. The problem we face here is that the only company insured to move a mobile home close to us is 6 1/2 hrs away. They want another 5 thou to come and move it. Ours has no wheels, and an expando in the living room that would have to be pulled in. Which means my flooring would have to come up. Also, when we went to cut our hitch off, we found out it was down, and supporting the front end of our trailer. We put concrete supports under the front end, but left the hitch. I hide it with flowers. Going to put in a two tier flower bed in the front to really hide the ugly thing. Also, I worked yesterday to block off anyway stray cats could get under( even though I feed them until I can catch them) and then found one in my shed tonight. I must have locked it in there yesterday. Don't get me wrong. I'm not mean to them. I don't trap them in the winter. I feed them to help them. But come spring, I set the trap for only hours the pound is open. I can hear them, and take them in right away. There is one that bleeds on my steps, that is so sickly looking. I put on gloves, and it let me touch it. It is only humane to put them down. I go through a 22kg bag of cat food a month trying to save these cats. Not their fault people think they are a novelty, them forget about them. Sorry for dragging this on. Get upset over people who think Kittens and puppy's are toys, then turn them out!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
appletonbill

I wish it were that cheap for septic, elec. and well drilling around here. I know what you mean about cats, we have two, but they stay in with a few exceptions. Everyone should have their pets spayed or neutered. We have some that roam around the neighborhood, and I unintentionally locked one in the shed once. He was only in there for a short while as I usually go out there at least once a day for tools, take out the recycleables, etc.