Manufactured home,Mobile Home or Trailer???

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Hi Folks,

Every now and again our beloved and original moderator "Tom" used to post this when things were slow. Well here it is today! It's sure to bring several comments.

Sooo, what do you live in Manufactured, Mobile or a trailer?

Does the word trailer irk your nerves? How about mobile?

Let us know what you call your home and want others to do as well.

Have fun,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Yanita, you just HAVE to stir the pot don't you??? Quit using the "T" word!!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

LOL,

I really don't like to cook , but I love to stir the pot!

Hate that "T" word huh, sooo don't I. We have one though, hubby pulls it behind the truck with the Harley on it!

As for manufactured and mobile, they really mean the same thing.

I live in a home! Friends, family and such refer to my home as a house!

I don't mind manufactured, but I do hate the word trailer, you can just see the "look" in peoples eyes! :x

I have the same things in my home as those that live in traditional homes do!

OK, folks, let's hear your comments!

~Yanita~
Maureen

LOL Yanita! Well, you beat me to the punch this year! It's all cool, the sale of the server business looks to be complete in a few weeks! That's the good news. The bad news is that I have to whip the yard in shape in my spare time! This will all be done at the height of wedding season, our new business. I love this board to death, but priorities are priorities.

Yep, my 'HOUSE' is a home! I pay real estate taxes. Like Greg, I hate the "T" word, sorta live with the mobile word, even manufactured doesn't set well with me these days!

We just had eight 8 stick builts constructed around us. Most were done in a pre fab construction. So, where do ya draw that line these days?

A home is a home is a home! Heck, we might sell this place and buy an RV and travel around the country. Then, we will be living in a true mobile home!

Maureen 8)
rbow

Hello,

I've lurked in this forum for a while, and have found it very helpful. I've been lucky enough so far to have found answers to the questions I have had by reading though the older posts. I really appreciate all the help, and the friendly advice everyone has offered.

I thought I'd reply to this post, as I have to admit the "T" word really gets under my skin as well. I really don't care for the word Mobile much either, and although I can live with the term "manufactured" I guess I prefer the term "home".
Sylvia

None of the above, I live in my home! :D I don't consider it any of the above anymore and neither do the neighbors except for one who keeps calling it "your trailer". It's nicer than all of the stickbuilts in our neighborhood now and more valuable or the same value.

The newer neighbors had no clue it was anything other than a stick built house. They didn't see the "before" :lol:
Harry

Hi

Some call our homes "wobbly boxes".

We refer to ours as "the fishing shack"

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
troyster

When we moved into the park it was called Terrace Trailer Court-but was changed recently to Terrace Court- most people who don't live in a manufactured home will call it a trailer-most of us who live in them call it home-to me a trailer is something you pull behind your car or truck to go camping-and most of these homes are not mobile anymore -and no one calls there home manufactured -so that only leaves "home"
Greg

Yanita, It's funny, this has been almost an annual question for the last 5(?) years. And the answers are almost the same, word for word!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

We call it a trailer. When I'm in an affectionate or really bad mood it's "tin can" with various words attached.

I don't mind the word trailer. I actually revel in it. It's fun to tell people you live in a trailer to see that pitying look in their eyes only to confuse them by saying how much you love it. (most of the time anyhow)

I actually have a zine I run for people who live in/have lived in/wish they lived in called "Trailer Trash". It's gotten decent reviews and I wish I put it out more often.
Jim from Canada

Seeing as I am not going to hook it up behind the mini van and haul it down the road I hesitate to call it a trailer. I usually use Mobile Home for it. I use Manufactured Home for a factory built home that gets moved in on trucks and put on a foundation or basement.

Jim
readysetgo

I've always said house or home and so has everyone else I know and they have nice stick-builts. I never even knew people had a bad attitude towards mobile homes/trailers before coming to this website then I started noticing people's reaction at places like Home Depot/Lowes when I'd have to find something that woud fit like our tub for the guest bath. I'd get so upset then when I started noticing it and I know hubby makes triple what they do in income. I don't know who they think they are but it's so stupid to judge people by what they live in or drive. What ever happened to people who judge you by your charater. One thing I got really upset about was Allstate Insurance has this little pull trailer picture to click on when you pay your insurance online. I wrote them and told them about it too. But alas I no longer have to see that picture since they cancelled all mobile home policies in Florida. Good riddens. Ok, I'm calmed down some now.
RSG sitting at her home. :)
Yanita

Hi Readysetgo!

Sweetie, LOL, I sure did not intend to fire you up like that! :wink:

But I completely understand what you are saying!

We USED to have some friends that owned a doublewide, one of those huge ones, all the bells and whistles, well they got flooded and FEMA bought them a stick built home with brick siding. I am happy for them.

But as the years have passed they look down upon us, said we made a poor financial decision buying this doublewide, should of bought a real house...well LOL, when I go to the tax collector's office yearly I am paying REAL estate tax!

Bottom line, I do not care how you spell your name, what you do for a living, money in the bank or what type of home you are in. I rather see one live with in there means and be happy, than a big show stopper and be unhappy!

Hey, glad to see you found the new site. Hope everything is going good for you! :wink:

~Yanita~
Maureen

LOL Yanita, see what beating me to the punch gets you? Just kidding!

But yeah, we're all very proud of our homes! And, to use your term Yanita, we're just all thrifty minded! Sure, most of can afford much more, but choose to spend our money elsewhere, or save for retirement!

RSG, I just LOL at those people these days! I have twice as much property as most city lots, half the mortgage and half the taxes! I just laugh at those folks. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes!

People can only put you down if you let them.

Maureen 8)
Sylvia

People find it odd that we own a manufactured home and a stick built but we live in the mh. We have much MUCH more room here and we've upgraded everything to be as nice as any house around.

I'm always a little confused as to what our mh really is. If it has a new roof, new walls, new floors, new windows, new siding, new windows, new doors, new wiring, new lighting, new basement and there isn't anything left other than two toilets and sinks to replace... is it still a mf home? We got rid of the little stickers and plate things a few years ago, and if it's not going to cost more on our property taxes, we're going to relinquish the title.

My 15 year old daughter rolls her eyes when she sees me here and scolds me because she says it's no longer a mh and it's nicer than any of her friends homes :lol:

So, new question, can a leopard change it's spots? Can a mh be anything other than what it started out life as?