Can you tell if this is OSB ? Paintable ?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Teresa73

Hi again,

Can anyone tell by these photos, what type of flooring I have?
I mean, if it's OSB, particle board, MDF ?
I don't think it's plywood, because it's super smooth
yet there is a 'fine sand dust' feeling to the touch. Plus it has
those little strips of pressed wood chips in it. But they are way
softer and smaller than large wood chip boards.

I'm asking because I want to rip out the carpet and I was
hoping I could user KILZ primer or something, and then a good
strong (latex?) paint on the floor to paint it instead of carpeting.

But, I read online that some boards like particle board should
not be used even in cheap fixes for painted flooring.

Help? (I know, I ask for help a lot.. sorry guys but yer all I have)

- Teresa

P.S. I've read on your forum how to paint the flooring,
but now I just need to know which type of flooring (subfloor) it is
that I am working with. The first photo is the wood chip pattern really blown up, and then 'clarified' on PSP so the 'wood strips' stick out so you can see them better. Standing above the floor it's a pale look, and again it feels smooth (no splintering pieces at all),
and oddly it feels very dusty (unless that's just dirt and dust).

Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
mobtek

Looks like particle board to me. I can't say how well it would work as a painted floor. You would definitely want to prime it good first.

Also, IMO I would not paint a floor with Latex, but that's just me. I don't think it would be tough enough. You would have to coat it with a clear poly.

If you are looking for a simple pattern (like my stamped checkerboard) then you should at least consider oil based deck paint. It's tough and glossy and if you use throw-away rollers and brushes, then the mess isn't bad.
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi,

I am with Mobtek on this one. It is particle board and will turn to sawdust if any wetness is left on it.

If you do paint it I would prime with a good primer with at least 2 coats, and as Mobtek said a deck/porch oil based paint, and follow thru with a couple coats of that as well. I think I would still do a clear coat on that.

Interior floors go thru alot of abuse, and I have yet to have a deck/porch paint last nearly as long as they claim even with the proper prep!

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Yup! some sort of MDF/particle board for sure. A bit of a scuff up with some sandpaper to give it some tooth, prime and paint. Use good quality floor paint. It will be an oil base so expect some fumes.

Jim
mobtek

You could maybe get away with it...

Maybe you could seal the floor with some waterproofer first, then prime it and paint it. That would only add about $8 to your cost. If you don't get that floor sealed first water and moisture will make it bump-up.

On the other hand, it would be a smooth enough surface that you could do a real nice design on it using masking tape and probably get clean lines.

I say, if you want a new floor and don't want to be held captive by a small budget... PAINT THE FLOOR! It is really satisfying to do a lot with only a little. WAY more satisfying than paying some guy to come in and lay down budget tile.

I am so glad that I decided to just go for it and redo my Kitchen. It really gave me a great perspective on how much you can do with nothing but effort.
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi,

Just a little cost comparison here, sealer 8 bucks, according to previous post, gallon of primer about 25.00 paint slightly more, you are at roughly 60.00. At our Lowe's and Home Depot there are bins of discontinued rolls of sheet vinyl. Average cost 50.00.

Not sure what room this floor is in but vinyl is very easy to lay and doable by the average DIY'er, providing you have average mobility. There are several vinyls out that require nothing more than just laying on the floor and then and baseboard.

JMO,

Yanita
Jim from Canada

You can sometimes find "mis tints" at the paint store that are great deals too.

Jim
WildIrish

Yanita wrote: Not sure what room this floor is in but vinyl is very easy to lay and doable by the average DIY'er, providing you have average mobility. There are several vinyls out that require nothing more than just laying on the floor and then and baseboard.
I'm with Yanita on this one. A painted floor would look awful, while vinyl would give it a more polished, "real floor" look. :)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
Yanita

Hi,

I am not against painted floors...but with a particle board I would be concerned with water. I also do not have alot of faith, long term with paint on the floors...latex, oil or otherwise. As we have all learned, water and these floors just do not get along.

But, it is entirely to the homeowners discretion as to what you want to do with your floors. I have seen some great painted floors, and then I have seen others that just don't hold up...if your home has alot of traffic you might end up repainting fairly often.

For myself, doing projects I consider all cost...this includes everything down to paint brushes, rollers and possibly floor leveling compound at the seams of each sheet of particle board, ply OSB. Oh, and I also consider the time. :D

JMO,

Yanita
Teresa73

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Just a little cost comparison here, sealer 8 bucks, according to previous post, gallon of primer about 25.00 paint slightly more, you are at roughly 60.00. At our Lowe's and Home Depot there are bins of discontinued rolls of sheet vinyl. Average cost 50.00.

Not sure what room this floor is in but vinyl is very easy to lay and doable by the average DIY'er, providing you have average mobility. There are several vinyls out that require nothing more than just laying on the floor and then and baseboard.

JMO,

Yanita
Since it's particle board, I think I will go with the vinyl
or save up and maybe use Pergo (I think that's what most
people here said they use that works in a mobile home).

I can't believe it's particle board, that stuff is so nasty...
In the since of how it holds up with water (exploding sponge).

If I am correct, you guys also reccomend replacing that don't
you guys suggest replacing it with plywood (or is it something
else) before it leads to damage? Or should I just replace it as
any damage occurs (which way is the best or smartest way) ?

Yanita, it's the living room and hallway flooring that I want to
replace (I have a pet & kid stained light beige carpet). I just
adopted a rescue dog who spent her whole life in a breeding
age, so she's really hard to potty train. Which means urine,
and fecal bombs left in the living room or hallway mostly.

So, my thought was ''the urine will ruin the particle board,
the urine and poop stain and leave odors or unhealthy
matter in the carpet fibers, and it just looks like crud."

My mom says keep the carpet down until the dog's housebroken,
but it's been a month so far and no go. I think the carpet is
stained and gross, and unsterile. At least with vinyl I could
pick up any dog mess and kid spills, and sterilize the spot!
No more stains, no more smell, no more gross stuff on the floor.

Isn't that urine or spilled soda going right into the particle
board? I would think so, and it seems protecting the particle
board flooring should be my priority also. Unless we want to
one day fall through a rot spot or get mold or god knows what.

Ok, long babbling post done with for now. :)

Your Friend in Michigan,
Teresa
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=