Can osb boards on floor be sealed and stained?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rosemary

I want to remove all carpet. I am on a budget. Can osb board be sealed and stained? If so, what are some good products? Thanks
mobtek

I am not the one to answer that, though I would guess they could. My thought is that OSB would not look too good stained. In fact, the grain pattern would almost make it look bad even painted.

Below I downloaded a picture of OSB. I then added a transparent layer of dark Brown to simulate what I believe it would look like stained. You can still see the "grain". It's not real pretty, but to each his own.

I am totally with you on the limited budget thing. Maybe if you were to float out the floor with a thin layer of Bondo and sand it you could remove some of the grain and then paint it? Also, you might be able to actually paint a faux woodgrain over it and hide it some.

If I run across anything I will post it for you.
1989 Fuqua SW
Trudi

Have you ever seen pics of where people have torn brown contractor's paper, craft paper, or paper bags, crumpled them up and put them on the floor with adhesives, then polyed over them? I've seen some that were quite impressive. It has a stone look. You can do a search on HGTV's site to see what it's like. I bought a roll of contractor's paper for under $9. and did a small hallway wall, but haven't done a floor.......YET. I still have paper left on the roll, and I used a wall sizing/wallpaper adhesive product, but from what I've read, most use something else on a floor. Sounds crazy, but some love their results.

I glazed the walls, but a floor can be painted, glazed, or just polyed.
Yanita

Hi Trudi,

Are these pics of your home, they certainly do not look like a mobile home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Hi Yanita,
Yes this is my main home. My vacation home is a mobile. I wanted to show Rosemary how the paper looked in case she wanted to consider it for her floor. Hope I didn't do anything out of line by posting a pic that was not a mh.

ETA that I just noticed that you said "pics" (plural). The one in this thread is as stated above. The pics in my gallery are of my work in my daughter's mh.

I have posted other pics of the main home that were in line with the subject being discussed at the time. I think one was re: painting a wood floor.
Yanita

Hi Trudi,

No, you are fine, I have no qualms with you posting these pics to show others what the technique is.

When I saw the last pic I noticed the doors and trim then the ceiling height, LOL.

If you happen to post any pics of any type of construction I do prefer that you clearly label anything that is NOT mobile home.

Your fine and I enjoy the pics!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Whew! I was worried there for a bit. :D I'll try to remember to label anything that isn't a mh. I remember a thread about doing some of the things in a mh, that are done in a stick built home, and I'm for that 100%. I just haven't started yet in my mh, so my only experience is in my house, my daughter's mh, or other people's houses.

I spent this past weekend at my place, trying to decide where to start. (groan) Sure wish it was closer.
Trudi
Lorne

In years past I stained and varnished over OSB, I call it chip board.
It ends up with an oriental grass mat look. Not half bad. Be sure and put a number of clear coats on top to give it a deeper look if you stain it.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
bkbunny

so when you lay down the osb and then stain it and all that what about the edges/seams?? do you lay it down in a none noticiable way so it don't look as you have 4 x 8 squares layng on your floor??
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but, it sounds nice and "thrifty" ( nice way of saying cheap) something I would consider for my bedroom and curious about the seams/edges
DJP

Like you I couldn't afford to replace my worn carpeting, so I decided to rip it up and paint my OSB sub floors. It was a big job and I was on my own, so it took several weeks. It will look a lot better with laminate flooring (which I'm saving up to get) but I like my hard, painted brown, and yes cold - floors. It looks a whole lot better that that old faded green carpeting! Good luck. javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
jinx

We are building a shed and using OSB for the floor. We put down a stain/sealer because we thought the floor may sit for a while before we got the walls up. We thought right. It has been sitting in the sun for about six months and looks very nice.
Rosemary

Thanks MH friends,
I did remove hallway and one bathroom carpet and painted with one coat of deck/porch paint from Behr. I actually like it just fine however, I think I will smooth some seams and dents out with the Bondo that someone else recommended and re-paint. Rosemary
cellis

That's sounds like a good idea. I have plywood under my yucky carpet and can't afford laminate yet. I have been afraid to pull up carpet, but my carpet is desperate. So, will the bondo actually stay in place and not flake up? :?:
mobtek

Bondo seemed to do well for my bathroom floor. Mind you , I was not looking for perfect. I used it to level out an uneven seam.

Having painted my bathroom floor, I can tell you that instead of trying to make the floor smooth I would rather look for a paint scheme that will hide the imperfections.

I think that sponge painting may be something to consider. A good random pattern might help to hide the uneven surface. A solid color will only make it more obvious. Have some fun.
1989 Fuqua SW
CyndyB

Here are a couple of sites where I found "plank floors", utilizing plywood subfloors not osb. I think they both sound and look great. Trying to talk dh into trying it one of these days, lol! Hope it helps :D

http://www.homeenvy.com/db/1/221.html

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/699875/