Dampness on carpet pile from humidity? We were on vacation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

plumducky

Just wondering if anyone else has run across this. (doing this for a friend).

They went on vacation, leaving their mobile home (single wide) thermostat on 80 degrees. They returned to find dampness on their carpet in an area of roughly about two feet wide by maybe eight feet long. This was a strip of carpet pretty much right in line with their front door (was always closed however - house was vacant).

The dampness was only on the carpet pile, not the base weave, nor the foam pad underneath, and couldn't find any other evidence of water from roof leaks ( at base of the surrounding walls), or water coming up from underbelly (a leak spraying against floor).

Everything was dry....the base of the carpet, the foam pad and the particle board floor was bone dry.

My recommendation was to dry it out with a fan and see if the dampness returned. At this point, the more I think about it, I'm convinced it's only from humidity settling onto the upper most layer (the pile) of the carpet. It wasn't wet, just damp.

Thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone else had ever encountered this same moisture on the carpet.

We're in the Cincinnati, Ohio area...no shortage of humidity here outdoors, and a vacant, closed mobile home (for a two week period), seems a likely cause of that dampness. Anyone disagree?

Thx very much for any replies.
Last edited by plumducky on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry

Hi plumducky

We have our thermostat set on 80 24/7....and no mystery wettness you discribe.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
plumducky

Thanks much Harry for replying.

I'm wondering if the difference might be that their home was vacant and closed 24/7 for two weeks, and yours would have intermittent ventilation (to a certain degree, anyway - maybe just enough to avoid condensation?), via people coming and going through the doors? Or have you vacated your home also for a two week period or thereabouts, with the thermostat on 80 also?

I see you're in Florida, so you must have at least the same amount of humidity, or probably more.

I don't know....just asking if you, or anyone else, think that could be the difference (between your place and theirs)?
steve

If the door had glass in it that might be where the sun shined causing a hot spot and drawing humidity