Problems with A/C unit

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sara c

Hi,

I have central air in my mobile home however there seems to be a couple of problems.

First, it doesn't cool the house down to the setting on the programmable thermometer. I'll have it set to 72 and it will be at 76 all day long. It cools the house somewhat but not that much.

The other problem, which leads me to suspect something is wrong with the ducts, is that (I have a double wide home) one side of the home will get really good air coming out of the registers but the other side of the home feels like barely nothing is coming out. Does that mean there is a leak? Or something wrong in the connecting duct/s?

Any help would be much appreciated... its in the 90's here!!
crabbfan

it sounds to me that you may have a problem with your cross-over duct.this can be diagnosed by going under home and inspecting the duct.not difficult to fix
Robert

Hi,

See if the flex duct running from one half to the other is loose, sagging, kinked, torn, etc... .

Best solution is two hard metal 90* elbows and hard metal duct wrapped with insulation with an outer vapor barrier.

Next best is the two 90* ells and flex duct pulled tight between them.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sara c

Thanks for the help. I have one more quick question, because my boyfriend went to go underneath the house to look at the ducts but he said there was this black material that was attached and that the ducts weren't visible. Is there a way to remove this and then replace it so that he can look at the ducts?
Robert

Hi Sara,

You are very welcome, happy to help. The cross-over duct I'm referring to is below the underbelly and visible from underneath home.

Look for about 10" to 12" round plastic flex duct running from one home half to other.

Should be just below furnace area at one end.

If you need to inspect main duct trunkline up in underbelly, go inside home, remove register grilles, lay bright light down in duct and go to next register and hold mirror down in duct looking back toward light to see.

Can also do this and then hold digi camera down and take great pics for close up inspection.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?