Ever used or heard of DecoPaint for Laminate ?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Teresa73

Has anyone heard of -or- tried this kind of paint for painting over the paper laminated particle board cabinets in your MH ?

If you have, can you please let me know how it worked out for you, and what you thought of it? Thank you.

Website http://decotime.com/index.html

I thought the paint sounded good, like it's made for painting our cabinets and cupboards that have that super thin fake 'paper' wood (wallpaper? laminate?) stuck to what seems to be particle board, or something that swells and looks like crud when it gets wet or worn out.

Honestly though, I'm a total amature and I know nada about paint types, laminates, particle board, etc. I just want to make sure I use the best paint product IF I do paint my cabinets and stuff.

My mom keeps telling to not paint anything, that the (seems to be vinyl) wallpaper will bubble up and come off the walls.. that the cabinets will not hold any paint, that if I try the faux marble countertop painting you guys do - that THAT won't last very long and will scratch all up.. *sighs* But I want to do all these pretty painting things you all have done to your homes. :(

Mom says leave well enough alone.. then gets me nervous that I'll take a pretty MH and turn it into a cheap mess of bad painting.

Help? Input? LoL

Thanks everyone,
Teresa in Michigan
Please Spay & Neuter Your Pets =^.^=
Trudi

Teresa73 wrote:Has anyone heard of -or- tried this kind of paint for painting over the paper laminated particle board cabinets in your MH ?

If you have, can you please let me know how it worked out for you, and what you thought of it? Thank you.

Website http://decotime.com/index.html

I thought the paint sounded good, like it's made for painting our cabinets and cupboards that have that super thin fake 'paper' wood (wallpaper? laminate?) stuck to what seems to be particle board, or something that swells and looks like crud when it gets wet or worn out. This sounds like an interesting product. I'd like to explore the site and learn more about it later, but it does seem like a possible solution for those who want what it offers permanently. The reason I like to use paint for almost everything, is because if I do tire of it, it's only paint and can be re-done without a lot of hassle.

Honestly though, I'm a total amature and I know nada about paint types, laminates, particle board, etc. I just want to make sure I use the best paint product IF I do paint my cabinets and stuff.

My mom keeps telling to not paint anything, that the (seems to be vinyl) wallpaper will bubble up and come off the walls..

Much depends on how the walls are prepped in the first place. I have painted over paper and it did bubble up, (in my stick built house) scaring me half to death, then, amazingly, as it dried, it laid right down and re-adhered to the wall. It has lasted somewhere between 8-10 years. I'm just now seeing little areas in a couple of corners that seem to be loosening up, but I honestly think it would've done that even if I hadn't painted it, simply because it's (the paper) been there a long time. If paint brought wallpaper off the walls as easily as some say it does, they could market it without being tinted, as a wallpaper remover. :lol:

that the cabinets will not hold any paint,

There are primers now, especially bonding primer, that make anything paintable. The bonding primer, applied to clean walls/cabinets and allowed to dry at least overnight, (If you can scratch a fingernail across it without it scratching, it's ready)actually does bond with the surface, and makes it accept paint.

that if I try the faux marble countertop painting you guys do - that THAT won't last very long and will scratch all up..

My faux marble countertop lasted over 10 years. I only recently had to re-paint (this time a different technique), due to someone setting hot things on it. :evil: I have pics if you want to see, though I didn't do a very good job on my "granite" attempt. I was a coward and didn't follow directions from someone who did an excellent job on hers, but at least I know where I went wrong. :(

*sighs* But I want to do all these pretty painting things you all have done to your homes. :(

YOU CAN!!!!!

Mom says leave well enough alone.. then gets me nervous that I'll take a pretty MH and turn it into a cheap mess of bad painting.

Just know what you want to do, and do a lot of research, and practice on something first. Haunt the stores for mis-tinted paint in a color you like, and if it doesn't work, it's not an expensive mistake. I'm betting you will do fine.

Help? Input? LoL

Thanks everyone,
Teresa in Michigan