patching cement board skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

apointer

How do you patch cracks ( some with 1-2 inch gaps ) in cement board skirting ?
I am thinking something like drywall patching using a screen behind held in place with a string and putting a compound into the gap that will harden into something weather proof.
Thanks
Brenda (OH)

is it called cement board because it is cement? I'm not being sarcastic, I haven't gotten to see this type of skirting yet!

if it is really a cement product, how about wire mesh taped to back, and troweling on the outdoor grade of concrete on the front and back of the board?

this type of concrete comes in the 10 lb tubs, that you get about 10 minutes to work with after you add the water. you can mix up small batches in plastic tubs, just don't get it or leave it on your skin, it is high pH and very harsh.

if not wire mesh, how about plastic window screening?

I am very interested to see what feedback you get on this repair, someday I may get a home to rehab with this type of skirting!

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Dry wall patch would not be waterproof, I'm thinking concrete or possibly body filler. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

There is also concrete patch compound in small boxes for just $5 or so.

What made the siding panel break? Frost heave? Can they be reset so that the gap is smaller?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mobtek

I have cement board skirting, so I have some questions. Are there actual cracks or are you talking about gaps between the boards? If the board is cracked, why not just replace the whole board? If they are gaps in between, what about cutting some cement board strips to cover them? Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post.
1989 Fuqua SW
apointer

The cracks are for the most part holes caused by things hitting the skirting. Kids, weed eaters, etc. Not the joints between boards. Replacing boards has some difficulties - I have no local source of supply ( at least that I have found in several months of looking ); some of the boards are covered by newly poured cement porches and steps; I have no way to haul lengthy boards so would have to have them delivered and hence back to source of supply. We have severl homes in the park with this kind of problem. We try to make them look as attractive as possible to sell them and we do have nutrias, cats, dogs, rabbits, etc so need to have these cracks covered - I don't know if placing sectons of cement board on the outside would look ok.
Thanks to eveyone for ideas - I think I will try patching just like drywall ( screen pushed thru crack and held in place with string, compound trowled onto the crack - in this case, some of the cement patch you told me about.).