Painted plywood floors - new idea

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trudi

You're welcome, and I don't blame you about the tape. :)
mobtek

Well - I decided that taping off all of the squares would be a pain and probably NOT come out perfect. I still liked the idea of checkers, so I decided why not make a square stamp and do them sort of imperfect on purpose. After painting a Black border, I went for it with a homemade 4x4 stamp. No chalk lines or anything.

The squares are not solid - they have a "stamped" look. Not sure if you can see that in the picture. I am pretty happy with the (unfinished) result. What do you think?

Bigger pics are in my personal album.

1989 Fuqua SW
mokehillannie

It looks really nice. The main thing is that you are pleased with it.

I love to see the very inventive things people are able to come up with. It inspires me.
mobtek

I don't know if you are able to see the larger format pictures in my person album...?

As I said, if I try to make something "perfect" it rarely ends up that way, and then I get mad. One lesson I have learned doing some Faux painting is that the HARDER you try to make something perfect, the LESS it will be. Some of my best rag painting was done by literally throwing the rag at a wall.

In the larger format pictures it is more obvious that I was NOT concerned about getting the Black squares solid or for that matter straight. It was a fun learning experience and I am happy enough with it that I will NOT be painting over it! : )

All I can say is - GO FOR IT.
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Here is a picture after all of the squares have been finished. Larger format pics are in my Gallery. Trim will be added, Purple walls will be touched up and after a few other goodies I will post final pics.

1989 Fuqua SW
Trudi

Nice job Mobtek! The black and white turned out really good with the white cabinet and purple wall. Did you protect the floor with poly or what? I'm waiting for hubby to go out of town long enough for me to do my kitchen floor. :D
mobtek

Thanks again Trudi - this project has opened up many possibilities. I am really impressed with what can be done with very little money. I estimate the bathroom cost us a little over $60 to do. Lots over leftover paint too!

I chose not to Poly coat the floor. The paint I used is an oil based floor and deck paint. I used it for the cabinet, baseboard and base coat on the floor. If it gets scuffed it can easily be touched up, though it seems pretty tough to me.

I will admit I am ready to move on though. I get bored when I am stuck on the same project for too long.

Here are a couple of follow-up pics of the pretty-much-finished job. Larger versions are in my personal gallery.

1989 Fuqua SW
Trudi

The last pics were great too. I also find it fun and a challenge to do things on a budget. That's how I got into faux painting; if I couldn't have the real thing, I paint it. :lol: I'll be watching for the next project.