In-line filter

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bqz

Installing an in-line filter,Where do I put it ?
Before the tank?
Between the the tank and hot water heater?
shadow745

More info please....... You have private well, city water, etc.....???
Is this a standard sediment filter? Later!
bqz

Private well, a little dirt/mud in it ,hasn't been used for a few years and I'm sure it will clear up, but want to put filter on it to keep junk out of hot water tank mostly.
Greg

I would go ahead of the tank. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
shadow745

I'd install the filter anywhere between the pressure tank and the main supply line that goes into the home. You want to filter all the water. Choose a filter that has a good micron rating so it catches as much sediment as possible. You can also use activated carbon filters in the housing and that will help on the taste and odor if necessary.

One thing I'd like to comment on. Most people buy those standard sized filter housings when a large wholehouse size is better. It will allow more flow to pass through and won't have to be changed as often. Later!
mobtek

When I originally added an inline filter to my house I chose one that was made to take out ALL of the tiniest particles - not sure what the rating was. Unfortunately it also dropped my water pressure down so much that a shower was nearly impossible.

I have since settled on a filter that looks like it is made from wound yarn. It does a pretty good job, but I have to change it more often. This is okay since they are cheaper and Walmart stocks them. I may add a second filter though. Two of these in a row should do well.

When they go in they are pristine white - one month later they are a solid orange-brown. YUK!
1989 Fuqua SW
mobtek

Forgot to mention - I also use a Brita pitcher for all drinking water - works great.
1989 Fuqua SW