Yanita and forum staff, we had a pleasant surprise!!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

dandjbarrett

:D :D :D Our back porch is finally finished!!! WOW it is absolutely wonderful. In keeping with Mark's manual, it is not attached to the siding of the house, but is built just under the roof (pitched and almost looks like an A-frame) and has a nice clear line of caulk running from the support beams to the house to keep out the nasty critters. The electricians just left this afternoon and installed several gfi outlets and a ceiling fan with lights. I will post pics in a couple of weeks after I get my camera working :x . I'm totally delighted with it. Our contractor did an absolutely fabulous job and I believe the porch is better constructed than our house :). To meet regulations the porch had to have lots of hurricane protection and extra support in addition to re-bar placed in 18" of concrete. It is 12' by 20' feet and runs the width of our doublewide and has an 8' 1/2' center ceiling. Its wonderful. Thanks to Yanita and staff for all the advice. We're very, very happy.
Greg

Glad everything worked out for you!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Woo Hoo for you! Am so glad that you are happy with the final product. You will will spend many pleasant hours in your new "room"!

Really glad to see that you went the extra and got the permit, electrician and the hurricane protection. I know it cost more, but at least you know that every thing is right and to code.

Will be waiting for your pics!

Glad we could help, and make sure you pass along the website name to others in your area!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
dandjbarrett

:lol: We felt pretty good about what we had to pay for the construction since the contractor was great, got all the permits and knew every little regulation/rule, etc. and the inspections were a breeze. The electrician however was about twice what we'd hoped to spend. :shock: He did do a few extras for us, so that eases the pain somewhat. Overall we managed to come in pretty much on budget. We ended up making it a little bigger than we'd originally planned and added more electrical outlets than we'd originally planned, but are happy with the end result.
Greg

Depending on when you got your est. for the electrical work you need to remember that the prices for copper wire have gone the same direction as gas and almost as fast. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
dandjbarrett

Greg wrote:Depending on when you got your est. for the electrical work you need to remember that the prices for copper wire have gone the same direction as gas and almost as fast. Greg
You're so right, Greg. Before my husband retired early this year he worked on a project where a bandit (or two) cut through the big cyclone fencing and stole some huge coils of electrical wire. The police officers said it was for the copper. We used about 75 feet (total) of that stuff for the wiring on our project since we put in six gfi outlets plus the wiring up the wall and into the ceiling for the fan and overhead light. Oh, btw, my husband had all the porch wiring put on its own electric circuit so we can shut it off whenever we're away and no power runs to the outside. I'd have never thought of that. :roll: