Changing tub into a full shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has replaced a standard tub with a full size shower. i have mobility issues and it is getting harder and harder to step over the tub sides to get into the shower. I have priced kits at Home Depot/Lowe's and they are about $500. I know I will need a plumber, but can this be done?
JD
Site Admin

If you have a 60" bathtub, a 60" shower is pretty easy to install, if you are a capable DIY. You will have to be sure you have enough room between the toilet and bathtub if you increase the width. The Sterling Advantage Seated Shower (~$450) is a popular choice with my customers. It has a 34" width, about 35 1/2" with the nail fin. You will need to change/relocate drain and feed plumbing.

On older homes with a 54"x27" tub, the choices are pretty limited. There are 54x27 shower kits from the mobile home parts stores. The home improvement stores will have 48" shower units, which would require a small kick out wall to fit the space.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark
Site Admin

If you are replacing a 54x27 tub, the 54x28 shower pan will fit right in its place with minimal plumbing. Shower pans are available on this page, right side. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order3.html#catalog

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
bkbunny

So all you handy andy mobil home folks
What is your opinion of the walk in tubs ?
Pro and or Con for mobil home??
lindym

Yes, please, some input. We are also thinking about this as our main bath tub and surround is a mess and will have to be pulled out (if we can ever close on this purchase deal :roll: ).

Linda
Harry

Hi

Walk-in-tubs

1. I'm a shower person.

2. too expensive for our little home on wheels.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Well folks I'll be watching this post with an "iggle" eye! I hope to be back to the bathroom by August in this "full-remodel" of my 1970 12X70 s.w.! "Why wait till Aug.??"..some might inquire? I figger by then the crick down yonder will be warm enough I can go down there and bathe for the period of time this job is gonn'a take. I'm figgerin' a month..conservative estimate. If the thought of a 52yr. old 250lb. nekkid man skinney-dippin' offends you... then avoid south-central Pa. from Aug. till the job is done! Like some I'm ditching the tub. No need for it..don't cotton much to sitting in my own dirty water and as I'm "matureing" my chances on getting out of a tub git slimmer and slimmer! What I want is a shower that will fit into the, roughly, 54"X27" area I have. It'd be nice to have a seat on the far end..in case I git tired of standing. The threshold needs to be high enough to keep water off the floor, and yet low enough to allow easy access..for an old geezer. I don't do "high-kicks" much anymore..that threshold better be 6in. or less or we got a problem! Yup...I've seen the Walk-In Tubs. Considered it...then looked at the prices. I'm old and feeble..but I'm more frugal than either! Audie..the Oldfart...