The Tub From Hell: SUCCESS! IT'S PARTY TIME!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nwwoman

Yanita, Steve, OldFart, DeWalt, and everyone else who has helped NW woman with the install of the tub that didn't want to spend its life as a tub/shower.........

IT'S CONNECTED TO THE DRAIN SYSTEM! Yahoo!!

(For those of you who do not get it, just search on my user name and read the huge pile of posts from me)

It lightened my wallet: $180 for 25 minutes and two parts. I had this ouch and thank goodness sensation occur at the same moment. Quite titillating.

The strangest thing happened. This fellow knocked on my door yesterday, said he had heard through the town rumor mill that I needed help, said he was a small-job plumber and boom, he fixed it. I almost did one of those big doggie behaviors: jump out excitedly, paws on person's face, lick cheek and lips exuberantly.

The trick?

Well, with the p-track extending 1-inch beyond the bottom of the tub floor drain, he said it was best to go with the overflow drain.
Our overflow drain kit wouldn't allow for a p-trap in the tight space, I told him.

He displayed an entirely different type of overflow drain. It had the p-trap built into it -- no connector needed. That saved inches of horizontal space that were not there.

And, after this pipe connected to the overflow hole in the tub, the pipe "turned" to the left and then to the "right." Odd looking.

Ours went straight down the back of the tub, vertically. I have never seen such a pipe and never saw one in the hardware stores or online.

Anyway, he said it would fit the tight space and he was right. I took a bath this morning. Oh what a feeling!!!!! I now pass the sniff test. (Not done -- set it up only to allow for no-splash baths)

I think he was an angel. And I am thankful.

(Of course, he took my green so there goes the angel theory)

Today, we move on to finishing steps -- surround, faucets, fixing walls, painting. Piece of cake.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT! I am so glad this forum is here!!

Bursting with joy,
Cynthia
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60
RumCreeker

I have been reading about your saga for several days and am happy for you that your tub is now installed! Hope you enjoy it!
Yanita

Hi,

Glad it is in...LOL, this is some of the reasons we tell everyone that renovations are not always as easy as one thinks, and every home seems to need a different install.

Glad you are now able to use your bathroom, enjoy that hot bath!

When you get everything done if you are able set up a personal photo album and show us the pics!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Aye good woman how odd it seems that in the times of greatest dispair... some gift of Providence arrives. Eh? Though the cost may have seemed high at the time... filling the new tub to the over-flow with lavander scented bath-beads made it all better now didn't it? A coupl'a spoons-full'a Epson Salts to relax the muscles is good! HUZZAH! Now send the kiddies and hubby on some errand and plant some candles around the edge of the tub. Spin up that Etta James C.D. and hum along to "A Sunday Kind'a Love" and quaff down a dark full-bodied beer with a thick head of foam in a chilled glass! A St. Pauli-Girl Dark would be appropriate about now. Much too expensive for common swilling but this is a special occassion. It's the color of root-beer and has a most wonderful molasses (sp.?) aftertaste. A thick terry-towel behind your head and soak until ya wrinkle up and turn pink! Life is good. Enjoy. YMHS...Audie..the Oldfart...