Front Screen Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Smoker

Greetings

I am looking to install a screen door on my front enterance.
I've measured it (32"x78.5") and found that the ones at homedepot are all 80" tall. Are these special doors ? or is my enterance messed up ?
nwwoman

The one I bought and installed had to be trimmed to fit the door frame. When it was trimmed, a water sealant was applied to the cut area to prevent water/moisture from creeping into the cut area.
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60
Smoker

hmmmmm now I am wondering about that trimming... are the doors sold as only doors or is there a "case" that they are built into and that "case" being the measurements that I should take into account?

btw did you buy your door from HomeDepot ?

OH OH I think I made a slight mistake.... I am looking at Storm Doors..... not screen doors.
nwwoman

I installed a storm door. I bought it from local lumber supply which is owned by a fellow here and not part of a chain or franchise. I bought just the door. I wish it had a frame as that was made here. The old mobile home "frame" was removed and a standard wood frame was made and installed.

Smoker wrote:hmmmmm now I am wondering about that trimming... are the doors sold as only doors or is there a "case" that they are built into and that "case" being the measurements that I should take into account?

btw did you buy your door from HomeDepot ?

OH OH I think I made a slight mistake.... I am looking at Storm Doors..... not screen doors.
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60
Smoker

Can anyone maybe give me some pointers about my 78.5" tall door frame and 80" doors out there ? What can I do ? am I missing something ?
kamiller73

I can't help and kinda need some advice also. Here's a picture of my screen door and wonder if this is how one is suppose to be installed. Its not in a frame at all. [img]
kamikaze
Smoker

kamiller73 wrote:I can't help and kinda need some advice also. Here's a picture of my screen door and wonder if this is how one is suppose to be installed. Its not in a frame at all. [img]
Missed your pic
Greg

The 78 1/2" door is a mobile home door, The 80" is a standard size door. You have three options, either cut the door down, find the correct size door, or what many of us here do. Change the whole door & frame to a standard size, Just make sure you have enough room for a double header at the top. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Smoker

hmmmmmm I'm sort of good with tools but not that good that I'd redesign the entry way :(
So I'm thinking I have to find a manufactured home storm door.