2nd Return Air Vent

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

nWo

Just had my a/c serviced here in Texas and was told that the only return air vent located in the house is sucking air hard, which is ok, but thought I should add another RAV on the other side of the closet. Are there any positives to doing this? Will this allow the unit to run more efficiently and circulate more air?
Robert

Hi,

What type home do you have and what type unit ?

Do you have split-system a/c or a packaged/self-contained all in one unit outside ?

Is your return now in floor or is it through front of furnace ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
nWo

Hello.

I have a 2000 Southern Energy with the electric "all in one" inside a closet in the hall with the RAV just under the door about 3 inches from the floor. I had my air vents installed in the ceiling instead of the floor if that makes any difference. The inside unit is a Coleman.

I am hoping that installing another RAV on the other side of the closet will draw more air from the back side to help circulate more air.

Hope this helps!

Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

Are you saying you ordered this home from factory with ceiling registers or you had the registers placed in ceiling after you had moved in ?

The units are designed for a set amount of return air space, therefore you cannot just add more to it.

You would need it tested for actual cfm airflow to see if it was correct.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
nWo

Robert...

Yes I ordered the house from the factory and had the air vents installed as a mod instead of having floor vents. Is there such a thing as too much airflow and what could possibly happen by adding another return air vent?
Robert

Every unit is designed for a set amount of airflow, too much will increase amps on motor and can burn it out.

You can also have problems in the ducts.

Need to find out exact amount of airflow for your unit, then determine the amount you have.

Thanks,
Robert
Barb P

Robert, how does one find that information? Did I read in another post that you sell the booklets for certain furnaces?
BarbP
Robert

Hi Barb,

You would have to call a Tech and have it measured.

We do sell homeowners manuals for a few furnaces, but that would not give needed info.

Thanks,
Robert