Bathroom Sink Plumbing Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

brize24

Hi, I hope someone can help me. My bathroom sink has been draining very slowly so I replaced the elbow and snaked it out. Worked ok for about a week. I than tried one of those heavy duty lye based drain cleaners and it didn't help at all. Now it won't drain at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next. I am wondering if I can replace the rest of the piping under the sink without having to go under the trailer, and if that is what I should try next. I was trying to insert a drawing of the way the piping looks like, but can't figure out how to do it. Also, on same note sort of, how hard is it to put a water shut off valve in the house so that the only one we have is not under the trailer?
Harry

Hi

Maybe I'm just lucky but plunging works for me 9 times out of 10.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
brize24

Thanks Harry, but I tried that and it only made it worse.
Robert

Hi,

Did you cover the plunger with water ? Did you plunge hard and fast ?

Was anything in the trap ?

How far down line did you snake ?

You could get and use a snake king IF you feel drain pipes are properley glued and connected.

Do a google search for Drain King.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
oldfart

Brize I'm going to jump in here with some well intentioned thoughts and suggestions. First off... the shut-off valve inside the home. Brize if you can get to the incoming line where it enters the home you can install a simple ball-valve in-line to shut off the water. Look closely and try and determine what size incoming waterline you have. Usually it's printed right on the (I assume) plastic incoming line. Jot the info down and head to your plumbing supply store. Explain to them what you need and why (to avoid crawling under the home) and they should be able to accomadate you. If the incoming line is plastic it's a simple brass ball type shut-off valve with a barbed fitting on each end and hose clamps. Get the good stainless steel clamps and put 2 on each fitting. (4 total) Now, on to the problem of the clogged bathroom sink drain. Brize the most common problem with clogged drains in bathrooms is hair-clogs and soap/soap scum clogs. To clear todays clog stop by the plumbing supply store and pick up one of the "expanding drain openers." This tool looks like an 8in. long rubber snake with wrinkles...like an accordian. On one end will be a brass fitting for a common garden hose..the other end will have a brass end with little holes. Read the instructions! Remove the trap under the sink and ram this thing into the drain-line..then hook up a garden hose to it and turn it on. It will expand and then the magic begins! Every waterline in your house will begin to pulsate, vibrate and humm! Don't be afraid. Either it will clear the clog or it'll blow off every plumbing fitting in your home and shoot water out of the roof vents! Now, how to prevent future clogs in said bathroom sinks, tubs and showers. Hair is your worst enemy! Stop dropping whiskers (any and all) in the sink and tub. Stop standing over the bathroom sink and brushing yer hair..if you do so. NO leg-shaving in the tub! Make them wimminfolks go down to the crick yonder and do that! Put a fine-mesh screen in the tub/shower drain. Finally...run a cup or so of Clorox Bleach down the drains in every sink, tub or shower at least once a week. Just pour it in before ye go to work and let it set..flush the drain when ye come home. Yeah..the Greenies don't like that much..bugger em'! Next to credit card bills I hate clogged drains the most. Audie..the Oldfart! :)
Robert

It's called a Drain King oldfart, see above reply. For the shut-off, I don't recommend using hose clamps as most piping is not soft enough for a good hold.

You can get fittings/adapters for cpvc, crimp rings for pex or the shark bite fittings that will ensure a longlasting hold.

Since water is biggest enemy of MH's, be sure at all water connections.

Now, I've seen hose clamps last for over 20 years, but have also seen them last less than a week.

I err on the side of caution when it comes to water.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
brize24

Thanks for all of the help guys. After buying a different snake, an auging one, and a lot of plunging I got the sink to start draining just about perfectly. I went with the different snake because I couldn't find the Drain King one where I live. Once again thanks for the helps.
Robert

The Drain King is not a snake, it's as oldfart described, it blows up like a blaoon and you connect garden hose to it.

It has several names, but Drain King is most popular.

Glad you got it opend up.

Thanks,
Robert