What' the best paint ?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Amanda Thurston

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2005 home and the walls need painting,my hubby smokes so it time already,not to mention I hate the print that is the same everywhere in the house,I have read a lot of your post and will clean all walls first and then prime with Bulls eye 123,was told that this was a great primer. My question is what is the best paint out there for these types of walls. I've got to do this right the first time,as I have saved the money to redo my living room and kitchen. I don't mind spending the money for paint,just don't have the time or extra money in case it doesn't turn out right. Any help you can give would be great,by the way I love the site. A lot of great info.
Thanks Amanda
Greg

Hi & welcome. As you said, the prep. work is what is important. I seem to remember a consumer reports artical that rated Home depot's behr line a best buy. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the site!

As with any paint job, prep is key regardless of the paint brand.

As you know you will need to wash all the walls down real well as you said Hubby smokes. We recommend using TSP cleaner. Tri sodium phosphate is what it is. This also slightly etches the walls to give the primer good adhesion. It can be purchased at any home improvement store , possibly even Wal Mart.

I have heard/seen the primer that you have mentioned although I have never personally used it. I always use Kilz Latex 2 or the premium.

As for paint brands I have had good luck with Valspar from Lowe's, Behrs from Home Depot and Sherwin Williams, pricey but great paint.

I prefer satin finish in all rooms except bathrooms. In those and the kitchen I use semi gloss paints, they are in rooms with moisture.

The shinier the finish the more imperfections will show. Do not use flat paints on walls that are in high traffic areas, they do not wash well at all.

Good luck and if you will create a profile and personal album to show us your projects.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dirty White Boy

We used Glidden Gripper for our place and everything came out great...40 years of cigg smoking all covered up.
HouseMedic

Home Depot's Behr is a really good buy. It covers and holds up very well. I have to disagree about the gloss in hi traffic area's. Today's paints are very tough and can be scrubbed to clean. If you want even a little tougher go with the latex enamel paint from Behr. It comes in all sheens from flat to gloss. I have put on about 150 gallons of Behr paint and have had NO call backs.

Ron
Yanita

Hi,

I didn't say gloss I said flat :P ...I clean houses for a living and have yet to find a flat paint that washes well or easily.

JMO, Yanita
Dirty White Boy

We use Chemical sponges at place for cleaning flat walls or ceilings...they work decent on soot and household dust but not so good for fingerprints or pen.
Koiflowers

I have to agree with Yanita about the Valspar being a great paint. I just bought 5 gallons of paint at Lowes. I asked for Valspar and went for brushes and rollers. When I returned for my paint 1 was Valspar and 4 were Olympic 1 Coat. I protested, and she said the color chart I showed her was Olympic and they won't mix charts and paint. So I took all 5 gallons (Valspar is only $5 more).

The Olympic is far inferior to Valspar hands down. Two coats versus one. The primer showed through the first coat and I was using pale blue and very pale green. Sherman Williams carries a Low VOC paint (odorless, not scented) that is great if someone has allergies or respiratory problems.

I've painted every room in my house, using all different brands, and have never had a problem with any paint adhering to the vinyl wallboard. It truly is just a matter of personal preference and availability. We only have a Lowe's in my town, so it's Valspar for me.
Jim from Canada

I have used Behr from HD and liked it. One cool thing is that you can bring in a colour sample and they will scan it and mix up a match to it. I have gone to Canadian Tire and got a 10 gallon bucket of semi gloss white for the ceilings and that worked out OK too. I prefer using latex, in high humidity areas it is less prone to mildewing.

Jim
texasprairierose

Our favorite brand of paint is McCloskey Multi-Use which is made by Valspar and sold at Wal-Mart. It combines the primer and paint all in one, so there is no need to prime before painting. We have used it to paint the interior and exterior of our house and found that it adheres well to just about anything from vinyl wallboard to plastic and metal. It comes in a satin finish and a semi-gloss finish making it a good choice for walls and trim.
Jaie

I used Valspar on my place when we began to paint. Since I picked a really intense hot pink for my living room, coverage and not having to use ten coats was crucial. The Valspar has a lifetime guarantee, and one gallon covered a lot in the room of choice. I picked up a semi gloss myself, I dislike the look of flat paint.
Amanda Thurston

Hey Everyone, Thanks for all the great info. I was kinda scared about this at first. Now I feel like I can go out and get the paint and have at it. Again a really great site,very useful! :D
When I'm done I'll post photo's

Amanda
shiningstar64

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say thank you for all the info. on this site..it has been a big help.

I have a question. I too am getting ready to paint the walls in my mobile home. I bought the Bulls Eye 123 Primer at Lowe's ..it is what they recommended. The info. on the can says not to use TSP to clean the walls. What should I use?
Thanks for your help it would be much appreciated.
Yanita

Hi,

Another good cleaner is Simple Green. I would also after washing with it, then go over the walls a second time with just clear water to rinse any residue from the walls.

JMO,

Yanita
shiningstar64

Thank you Yanita