Pipe Over Electric Furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Barb P

Over my Coleman electric furnace, there was always an insulated 'pipe', It goes from the furnace to the ceiling. It seems to have no purpose.
I never noticed what it was attached to on the old funace, and never contemplated it's use.
When the new furnace was installed, the pipe just hung loosely from the ceiling. It was in the way of putting in the filter.
When I asked installer what it was for, he hesitated, before saying it was to get rid of humidity. I didn't question it at the time, now I realize, he didn't know what it was for.
It has a square metal base, which has no place to rest, so I set it on a little ledge.
I wonder if it is to be used with a gas furnace, and it has no purpose with an electric.
I would like to duct tape it out of the way of my filter, if it has no function.
I posted pics of it in my album, so not to use space in this forum.
Dont know how to post a direct link to my album.
Sorry this is so long.
BarbP
Robert

Hi Barb,

That's your Blend Air II system. It serves one or two purposes depending on which one you have.

Both bring in fresh air to mix with return air through that flex duct.

The Deluxe unit also has a motor on roof to remove heat from the ceiling attic area.

So he was half right, LOL.

Here's a link to our troubleshooting article on them:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html

The diagrams and pics will make it clearer for you.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Barb P

Robert, the pics on the link don't look familiar. There's a sign on the furnace that tells about Blended Air wiring, so I assume the furnace has it.
There is no motor on the roof.
My problem is, the diagrams on the link you gave don't look like anything in my furnace.
Before I call installer to ask, I have one more question, please.
That tube isn't attached to anything at the bottom. As you can see, it is resting on a ledge over the filter, at the moment.
It just hangs from the ceiling over the furnace.
Should it not be attached to something? The metal base falls right out of it, if it isn't sitting on that ledge.
Thank you for your time.
BarbP
Robert

Hi Barb,

They may look different, but are the same. The pic where it speaks of testing damper is what you are referring to.

It should be attached and your furnace should look same as pics.

If you do not have a motor on roof, then you have a Standard Blend Air II with the fresh air duct.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

The pics of damper and duct, if you look at pic, you'll see it rests on a metal shelf and you can see screws coming through holding it down.

Yours should have that metal shelf or cross piece.

Thanks,
Robert