No notifications when someone replies to a post?

Find an error, need help completing a profile, have a suggestion? Ask us anything relating to the function of this website. Unable to post? Then email us from the contact page.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

gram2logan

I have it checked to get notification when someone replies to my post, but I'm not getting any. :?

Barb
Mark
Site Admin

Unfortunately something is blocking most e-mails being sent from the forum (including email to me). We are working on ths problem, but having difficulty figuring out how to fix it. It's all kind of a long story at this moment.

If you have a 'safe-site' list, be sure we're included in your list.

I tell ya, if something isn't done about spam, pretty soon there will be so much security in place, that e-mail will become non-existent or non-usable. It almost is now!

I know how spam can be fixed. If providers start charging 1/4 cents for every e-mail sent, most spam would stop today. For most people, paying 1/4 cent for an e-mail would only mean an extra $1 or $2 to their bill. I think most will pay that to be done with spam.

Years ago Prodigy was the premier internet provider. Then they started charging 25 cents per e-mail. That pretty much killed Prodigy. I hope to never have to pay 25 cents to send an e-mail, but any charge at all would stop spam now.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
ebinfo
Site Admin

Mark wrote:Years ago Prodigy was the premier Internet provider. Then they started charging 25 cents per e-mail. That pretty much killed Prodigy. I hope to never have to pay 25 cents to send an e-mail, but any charge at all would stop spam now.
but then if somebody gets their computer hacked, or anything of that nature, and gets used as a 'mail gateway' then good luck trying to prove that you didn't sent the emails. Granted ISP's might have logs and what not, but sometimes it's not as easy as it sounds, especially when the spammer resides in a different country where most of the providers don't care much about what happens outside of their bubble.