DIY gutters... PITA?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I have a 76' SW and want to put rain gutters (leafless ?) up myself. I had gutters and they were bad so I ripped them off. I have a few questions:

1. Any recommendations for leafless gutters?

2. Do they have to have a slope running down to the downspout end? How much?

3. Is it a PITA job or not too bad? 1 man job? 2 man?

4. Plastic or aluminum?

5. Any "tricks" to make it easy?

6. Has anyone used these tied into a tank for water collection? I'd like to do this.

Thanks
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

I personally have not used them, but I would think they would have to drop to one end to make water flow. Remember that it does not take much to make water flow, If I remember science class it seems like 1/4" per 100' minimum. I would check where you buy the gutters for their reccomendations.
If you get freezing weather in your area I would opt for aluminum over plastic
I see no reason that you could not use a collection system, they did it a hundred years ago. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Things might be different in your area, but in the Fresno, CA area, the intense summers tend to warp the vinyl gutters. I never use them because of that. The metal gutters also make for a much straighter look.

When installing gutters, I will tuck that back edge up under the nose metal of a shingle roof, or under the "J" channel drip edge of a metal roof. Know that if your roof leaks at the edge, some water will come down behind the gutter. Done right, you shouldn't need any sealants where the gutter meets the home.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.