Quit stealing my water!!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

garrett_reukauf

Ok, I know this isn't really repair related, but I do need some ideas. My outside water faucet is being taking advantage of so to speak. I am not sure if its the kids in the "hood" being obnoxious or some neighboors helping them selves, but on 2 seperate occasions I have come home and notices the ground wet under the faucet, not just a lil wet but a lot. I had one of those styrofoam covers on it, for winter, but now that has since dissappeared. I made sure the faucet was shutoff tight, but each time this has happened I noticed the faucet wasnt tightly shutoff like I left it. Also on one seperate occasion shortly after I moved in the faucet was dripping a lil, cuz whoever it was didnt shut it off all the way.
My question is this. Does anyone know of a way I could lock the faucet somehow. The handle is metal and is removable, but if I take the handle off you can still turn the water on w/ pliers. There is not a shut-off for the outside faucet. Just the whole house.
I just need someway to lock this thing up so it can be used. I'm a nice guy and all, but I am not gonna let people help themselves to something I am paying for. Heck, I've already locked up my meter box, telephone box, cable box, and outside outlets. This seemed like nice "hood" but theres some hot hands around here I am finding out.
Harry

Hi

Sounds like you need a faucet lock.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
garrett_reukauf

My thoughts exactly Harry! Where can I find 'em tho, looked at HD and Lowes, maybe not hard enough tho, I couldn't find 'em there.
garrett_reukauf

Nevermind.... I found them. And lookie there it's the same one you got the pic of. Im gonna look at a few different ones, but I will for sure be ordering one tonight.
Mark
Site Admin

I've added inside shut-offs to all my outdoor faucets.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
SpongeBob

Hi, I noticed in your profile that you rent. So, the faucet lock may be your first consideration. You should not add any additional shut-offs without consent. Just a thot. But if and when you do own it...do just as Mark says and install the inside shut-off also!
Hope this helped.

=Bob
garrett_reukauf

Thanks ya'll! Yeah, I have already talked to the people I rent from about a few ideal improvements I'd like to make, even though the MH is brand new only 3mos old. They said they didnt care what I did just as long as I paid rent on time, didnt trash the place, and dont burn it down. A shut-off for outside faucets is a good idea, but I am not gonna tear into the belly unless its an emergency. I did do a search and find some locks that are made just for outside faucets, fairly cheap too. I think I will order one and see how it goes.
If I ever buy my own MH, I have already decided I will do lots of research on my site planning and probably pour an actual foundation like a cement slab or crawl space. Permanet set up, of course I would do this on land I have bought. Someday though, someday...... Until then I will continue my journey in dream land.....
Handweaving

Or perhaps: http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=872
Got this from another answered question on this great site.
Koiflowers

When I was still living in Maryland, my dad put a shutoff inside my laundry room. I'm a big gardening fan and was watering often during very hot months. Water was expensive and I didn't trust the timers actually shutting the water off and I didn't want to water during a rain storm (I've had $300 water bills during the growing season).

With the inside valve I could get up, turned on water, get a cup of coffee and get ready for work. Just had to remember to turn it off before I left. But if I did forget, I had a gizmo on the faucet that I could set to allow only a preset amount of water to flow through. And the neighbor that was stealing my flowers had to use her own water.
Yanita

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread...but, it's time to lock it. I believe it has been answered sufficiently.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!