Neighbors barking dogs

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Sylvia

Our neighbor has three hound dogs. His small yard borders both of our properties. We already couldn't go outdoors without being "hounded" by them but now they've started barking non stop all night long.

DH went so far as to go pound on neighbors door and tell him to either put the dogs in the house or buy them bark collars. Well, all's fine as long as DH's truck is in the driveway. Well, here we go again. I wanted to go down in the media room today and study for class with the fireplace going and soft music playing. I can't concentrate. I'm not that confrontational either.

What to do? There are plenty of reports of people calling the police on dog owners with barking dogs in the police blotter here. We don't really have that much "real" news I guess. :) I don't really want to call the police but I also do NOT want to continue to the hounds bark at nothing either.
JD
Site Admin

A certain amount of daytime barking is normal. Dogs bark at events like people approaching the property, other dogs or animals coming around, etc. But incessant barking, especially late evening, night and early morning hours, is the responsibility of the owner.

I would not blindside a neighbor with a call to the police and I really hope that never happens to me, but maybe DH could knock once more and nicely say that the barking is just too much and if it continues, he will call the police to file a complaint. At least the dog owner has the heads up.

Hounds have to be the worst. We have one, but he is not our problem dog. Our other dog feels it is necessary to bark and squirrels. And we have lot's of them. We have trained her to not worry about the small stuff in the dark hours and to refrain overall. Still barks enough to bug me though.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sylvia

We have an almost perfect dog, Jack and a yapping chihuahua, Elvis. We did buy Elvis a safe bark collar. It makes a noise he doesn't much care for when HE makes a noise we don't much care for. I guess I am just amazed at pet owners irresponsibility to both thier pets and thier neighbors. I'd be worried if my dogs were barking endlessly. I'd be checking on them.

The hounds though get each other going. It's a tiny yard and they're big animals compared to Jack and Elvis. The hounds have quieted down a bit and I did get my chapter read for class, finally.

The hounds have other issues. Too small of a non fenced yard means lazy neighbor stakes them outside and they get tangled in each others chains and when lazy neighbor tries to fix that and move them apart, the hounds get tangled (and rip out) my shrubs.

I'm at the end of my rope... and so are the hounds.
Greg

The first requirment for training a dog is to smarter than the dog! I agree try once more with reason, then file a complaint. Our dogs are known as "the loud dogs" they bark at everyone walking by, just to let them know they are there and you can come over and pet me (or give us a treat). The neighbors have learned the difference between the "Hi" bark, and the "some one does not belong here" bark. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flgmtech

It's too bad they do not have a remote with a mute button for those times when the dogs barking drives you insane.
We have a 10 year old chihuahua named Missy, and the trailer park my girl friend Kim lives in has a lot of night time roaming juveniles.
So she barks at everything and wakes me up three to four times a night. I had not thought about a bark collar. But now that my girlfriend sees this she may try to find one that fits me. LOL
I hope your neighbors curb their dogs bark soon, I agree with JD, day time is normal but night time is an owners responsibility to be considerate of his neighbors.
Good luck Sylvia and keep us posted.

Tim
Maureen

Oh My Gosh Sylvia! I feel your pain!!!

Now, I'm a huge dog lover here, so don't get me wrong. If Rocky starts barking for over 15 seconds, I'm knowing that something isn't right outside, and I'm right on it. He's a huge German Shepard, when he barks... the whole neighborhood knows it!

I'm sorta putting my neck on line right now, cause both of my neighbors read the board. The gripe I have is pretty specific! We don't have to be up and to work until 9:00 am, folks around us get up and play outside with their dogs at 4:30 am. Now, she's deaf, and I realize that she doesn't hear what we do. But I don't wanna be up that early! It's a real pain in the rear! Not to mention that her dogs bark off and all day while I'm trying to work. It just grates on the nerves after 6 or 7 hours.

In between a rock and a hard spot. They are fantastic neighbors that we have. But asking her to tone the dogs down hasn't worked. No matter how many kind ways I've tried to relate to her, it's just not registering! Not all of us have the ability to turn our hearing aides off.

Gee, hope she'll read this before we have to to take harsher measures. It's just not pleasant to listen to dogs barking constantly! But, when other don't get it, that's the only recourse.

Maureen 8)
Sylvia

I think we just need a stand- in, stunt double, Toyota Tacoma truck. When that's in the driveway, the neighbor's dogs are, for the most part, quiet with that one exception yesterday. ,