New Front Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

Happy New Year all,,,

Well Feb. 3rd, will be my :D last payment on this old place :lol: . and then I will have some $$ to do a few things I have been wanting to do for the last 8 years. Anyways just wanted to share that with you all, I have been a "lurker" trying to learn everything you smart folks have to share. :)

I have read and read, but alas I have to ask, haven't found the exact answer i am looking for. Do all new exterior doors need to have cinder blocks under them to hold the weigh???

I have read several post that mentions the weigh of a regular house door and the need to place blocks,,,, is this suggested for all door?

Thank you to all that will reply
Harry

Hi

Some of the manufacturers blocking diagrams require blocking under the door ways....some do not. Some say you can substitute adjustable outriggers for the blocks. Mark sells adjustable outriggers.

When I rebuilt the back side of my MH I added 10 adjustable outriggers.

If my nephew comes to visit (or someone of similar size) you'll need one or the other.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
SpongeBob

HI bkbunny,
any new door, along with being framed correctly, squared, and plumb; would really benefit from the blocking or "weight bearing devices" to be installed under the framing members.Sold and explained by some of the pros on here. JD posted me some photos one day of these "jacks" and where they were available. You'll get the help you need here!

-Bob
Demolition

It don't matter if it is a Mobile Home or a Portable Shed...
It really helps to have supports at the door because there ain't no
wall at the door to hold the roof up, so the house sags there first.
That is what makes the door be crooked and not shut properly.

Here is one post you can refer to...
viewtopic.php?t=2138

More help, more correct probably is the MH repair
book which you can order here...
http://mobilehomerepair.com/order.htm
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

If you are replacing original MH doors with standard doors the above advice is correct.

Be sure before purchasing a new door that you have enough space to allow for a proper header above the door, this is what transfers the weight of the roof along with king studs.

Congrats on your soon to be last payment! What a great feeling huh. We all certainly look forward to helping you as you start your home improvement projects.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!