Severe Weather

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Hi Folks,

All across the country it seems someone is facing severe weather, from blizzards out west to tornados headed towards Eastern NC.

Never been thru a tornado and can't say I care to experience it. BUT...it appears they are headed to us, so all you local folks heads up into the night, seems thats when the severe storms are suppose to start and continue into tomorrow!

Everyone keep us posted, we have a large family here, just take a moment to update us!

Mark, Aberdeen made the national weather earlier today showing the white out conditions, Greg, your in for more snow so keep the skid steer fueled up.

Take care everyone.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

We had an ice storm on Saturday morning that knocked down all the power lines around the area. We live in the hardest hit area. Temporary power was finally restored last night.

We were lucky and were able to go buy a generator so our home is ok. Not sure how the cottage fared. The renter was out of town and has all the keys. We did get the water turned off there too though.
Robert

http://www.cnn.com/

:cry:

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flgmtech

Me and my family have all of those of you in harms way in our prayers. May you be kept safe and sound.
The tornadoes that hit here about a month ago hit early in the morning around 2 or 3 a.m. and it came like a thief in the night without warning taking so many innocent lives.
Our hearts go out to each and everyone of you and your family and friends. Stay safe and Godspeed.
Tim
Mark
Site Admin

Sylvia -- so how's the weather in Iowa tonight? Blizzard warning up northwest here in South Dakota. Isn't Iowa weather suppose to be worse? Did you have any source of heat during the 4 days you were without power? This morning I bought a kerosene heater in case we lose our power for a spell. Also bought the last two jugs of kerosene to go with it. So I figured I just bought insurance that we won't lose power, but you never know. . . .

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Maureen

We got 'shadowed out' with the last snow storm. WOO HOO! We're at the base of the Sierra Nevada's. This means that sometimes we get dumped on, other times those 12 thousand foot mountains make storms break around us!

We're cool here, but praying for others throughout the country that went through the major storms. Alabama got hit really hard today.

Maureen 8)
Sylvia

Mark, our power went out on Saturday morning. We stayed somewhat warm overnight til Sunday morning, thanks to the housewrap, insulation, new windows and doors. It got colder and colder until around noon on Sunday when we decided we had to do something. We called everywhere to try to buy a generator. All the power was out throughout this part of Iowa so there weren't any to be found. We finally found one to rent. At 80 a day, that couldn't go on for too long. We were told we were going to be without power until the earliest this coming Sunday the 4th at 6pm. By this time, all the stores around were getting supplies of generators shipped in although they were still in short supply. We ended up buying one from Sears. DH ran cords from it to the heater, frig, and some lights (and tv and dish!)
We ate at the firehouse with all the other displaced city folk. The firehouse is/was running on a propane generator, and was serving up three meals a day and providing shelter for those who weren't fortunate enough to be able to get generators.
Our power came back Wednesday night, several days ahead of schedule, which of course is good, but we still spent a boatload of money on the generator, cords and a special adapter for the water heater so it would work off generator power.
We had talked about buying one anyway. We also bought a battery opperated sump pump. No power and lots of rain and water and basements don't mix well. We spent Saturday night bailing out the sump so the basement didn't flood. That would have been a LOT of work destroyed.
Susan

I sure hope everyone made it safely through the dark hours. It's still dark here in No. CA, but the weather is cold and crystal clear. We had a mid-sized earthquake last night and still having some aftersome aftershocks. Fortunately, they are over very quickly. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm the lucky one. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and will try to push the better weather to the East. Stay warm and safe.
Yanita

Hi Everyone,

Man blizzards, earthquakes and tornadoes!

Thankfully all we got was real strong winds, last reported to be at 47mph gusts. Living out here in the country I think they could of been stronger.

I'll admit, we got outta here for awhile last night. Our friends live up the road aways and every Thursday night we all get together, about 30 of us for a pot luck supper. They have a concrete block garage that is renovated into a "get together" area.

Anyways when we stoked up the bon fire about 8:00 PM we soon kept it small, the flames were going in a perfect circle. The winds were pretty strong and the rotation of the flames made you keep one eye to the sky.

Hubby and I spent the night at home but neither of us slept well. Driving rain and winds was really unsettling.

Got up this morning and chased down the trash cans, some deck furniture and trash...but, we did not get a tornado! :D

The weather right now is 72* but the wind is gusty and strong. I'll take it, so much better than the alternative!

Have a great day everyone.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!