siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

We have some pieces of siding that need to be replaced and i can't find sizing with the smaller sized rows on the mobile home vinyl siding. Standard now is 9 or 10 and we have 8"?? so we can't find a match(only pieces with the larger sized horizontal rows. I don't want to have to reside the whole double wide cause we can't find the smaller sized rows. Any suggestions? The mobile home parts store where we live suggested we go to houston to search for the smaller size. Does anyone know where i can get the smaller size.
Husband wants to use hardiboard but i think that would be more expensive.
Also, there is nothing under the siding other than huge sheets or the really think particle board and some areas have sheets of paper(vapor barier possibly). Is there supposed to be anything under the vinyl siding?

uploaded picture into profile. Don't know why the guy called it 8 it look like each row is 4 inches to me. ???
JD
Site Admin

I think you can still get Alcoa T-lok Barkwood Double 4". You would probably have to order it from your local vinyl siding distributor. You can contact Alcoa at http://www.mastic.com/Site/

By contacting them first for the referral, you will open a dealer request from the factory, which will probably help you with your order.

http://www.mastic.com/Site/Products/SSF ... Category=1

Sorry for the long URL

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
betty_joanne

We have decided to reside the entire front of our double wide and save the good pieces for the other 3 sides.
Just wondering. If i put smartside on only the front of the double wide will it cause the marriage bolts to come apart or the front of the home to sag from the weight?
We can't seem to find siding available anywhere in large enough supply so we have to order it sight unseen. Not to thrilled about that. We have tried home depot(useless, doesn't even carry siding) and lowes(has one type but not enough instock to do front of home)
JD
Site Admin

Smartside siding is a wood (OSB) product and not considered heavy. It is the Hardpanel (cementitious fiber) panels that are pretty heavy at about 74 pounds per 4x8 panel.

The front and back of a mobile home (gable ends) will usually have the steel frame under the rim joist, adding a lot of support to these areas. While you could add edge piers to the ends of the home, it is not necessary for the weight of the siding alone.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.