Dogs are tearing skirting to shreds...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lowensp

Ok I have 2 sides of my house exposed to the back yard and my dogs are busting holes in my skirting left and right. From laying up against to outright busting through it. I have more boards and temporary patches on those parts than I care to list. I thought of taking some livestock 4gauge square paneling and cutting it to fit under the siding/skirting behind it but not sure if that would work. Anyone ever tried it? Wife and I are thinking of getting a product from www.stonecote.com and trying that as a complete replacement. Has anyone ever used there stuff? If anyone has had the same issue before PLEASE I BEG OF YOU help...
cottonlily

Good luck. My brother lives in a mh beside my mom and her dog is always climbing under his house - through his underpinning. He even tried installing wooden panels behind his to no avail. I know this is obvious but is there anyway to keep the dogs away from the skirting? In other words, fix the dogs rather than the siding (which will probably get damaged again)?

I know you'll have to repair the damage already done, but until then perhaps you could try spraying some citrus spray around the lower level of your home. Dogs hate the stuff (it's used in barking collars) and most times will avoid it if they can. Maybe that will buy you some time until you can get the other spots fixed.
Greg

Two words, STEEL SKIRTING!!! Regular corrigated steel. like they use for pole barns. Critter proof, dog & cat proof and most importantly, Weedeater proof!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SpongeBob

Hi, some of the folks in this park have purchased steel roof panels from the big box stores and cut them to use as skirting. They come in as assortment of colors . You can even order them from HD in a particular size that you need. It simply works!

-Bob
Demolition

You can even go to the Scrap-Metal Yard and tell them you want some sheets of tin. Hang out for 30 minutes and you can haul some off real cheap.
Feel free to price sheets of tin before you go and then just take CASH to the scrap yard.
Also measure how much Tin you need, Just measure the house or area you need to fill in and take cash to the scrap yard.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

Metal/steel skirting is the way to go if you can not afford brick/block. Unfortunately for pets lovers and those unwanted strays or worse yet wildlife can do an awful lot of damage to the underbelly of your home. Also if you live in a cold climate you are risking your pipes freezing. Leaving the skirting off your home for any reason is not recommended....

In the ARTICLES link above there is a article called Monster skirting..this will give you the info that Greg and Spongebob are talking about.

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
KRITER

I put up roofing metal for skirting in 1990 and aint never had a problem.It needs painting tho.
Demolition

Dogs like to be under the house because they know the people are in the house. Dogs like to be where people are.
If you can, you might put their dog house closer to the house, close to the back door. Since it is winter, make sure the dog house is warm. You might rig up a light bulb for heat in there if you can do it safely.
In the summer, they get under the house for the cool dirt. I don't have an answer for that one.
If you let them live inside, they will stop tearing up the skirting. Plus they like to snuggle in the winter.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
cottonlily

We have incubator lights for our outside dog pens. You can buy them at home improvement or pet supply stores. I really think that's why my brother's dog like getting under his house - to avoid the elements.

Our friends bought a DW last year and tried adding the corrugated metal as skirting. He said it was so difficult. They called it quits and hired a company to do vinyl skirting. But I suppose if you can get familiar with the material and tools...