Winter Storms

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Yanita

Hi,

Hope all of you that got hit with that huge ice storm are safe, please check in with us when you get the chance. I know there are still many without power.

To all our folks in the New England areas...hold on, your next. Was just watching the national weather and from NY to Maine you are expected to get anything from 10" to 2 feet.

Better get those roof rakes, snow shovels or snow blowers out. Don't forget the pain relievers! You all know the drill. Check in with us as you are able.

Here in Eastern NC our 75 degree weather is coming to an end! Suppose to get chilly and even say up to 2 1/2 inches of rain on Saturday. Sure would like the rain, but seems it never makes it East of I 95.

Keep us posted.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

We've had a LOT of ice here in Iowa. Everything was pretty well closed down on Tuesday. Many people lost power because of ice on the lines. It finally started to melt of yesterday.

My macroeconomics final was postponed a week, which means another week of worrying. :~/

Hi Yanita,
We got hammered here in Massachusetts with some of the fastest-accumulating snow I've ever seen. Most areas got a foot in 8 hours, so it was coming down at 1-2" an hour. Unfortunately everyone was let out of work early at the same time and it resulted in the worst gridlock on the roads we've ever had. Stories of 6 to 8 hour commutes to go 30 miles were common and many vehicles were abandoned on interstates after getting stuck or simply running out of gas after sitting in traffic for so long. There's going to be a lot of cleaning up to do before the next storm arrives on Saturday night, which may be a Nor'easter with high winds as well as freezing rain and ice.
Luckily, I had a few days off coming to me, so I watched it all unfold on the TV inside my cozy SW yesterday. I just got a brand-spanking-new snow blower last month, so I'm looking forward to NOT reaching for the Advil tonight for a change.
Yanita

Hi Folks,

Glad to hear that you are safe, and able to stay off the roads. Although I live in Easter N. Carolina I am originally from Northern Vermont, not far from the Canadian border. Soooo, I am very familiar with these major storms. We always had a back up heat source (vented, wall mounted gas heater) and of course a generator if we were going to be without power for a few days.

In this area of NC we seldom get snow, or at least nothing worth speaking off. But we have gotten several good ice storms. I think I prefer the snow!

Well folks, take care of yourself and be careful. Keep those roofs cleaned off, and roof vents cleared.

Hey anybody got any pics....?

Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

We had a quick blast yesterday 6-8". they are calling for up to 24" by Sunday night so it looks like a fun weekend in store. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wes

snowing so much here i don't want to take the camera outside
wes

from the door. looks like 7" and still snowing hard. the wind has picked up to 17/32 mph. hard to tell if it's new or blowing or a combination.

wes

we ended up with 14/15 inches and some 4' drifts. sunny but on the cold side today. digging out was so much fun.
Harry

Hi

Severe thunderstorms passing over us now. We're under lightning, flood, wind and tornado warnings. Lots of rain....finally. It is 68 degrees at the moment. Tonight temp will get to 35.

Sorry...no snow or ice.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Sylvia

I think we got another 6 inches of snow yesterday. I hate winter.
Jim from Canada

Started here about 4 this morning. Snuggly by the wood stove.

Wow. This is one heck of a 1-2 punch we're getting with this second storm today. Woke up to another 5" of snow and sleet on top of what we got on Thursday and it's supposed to continue until 3PM, another 5 hours. I can hardly tell where I cut my paths through the last storm with the snow blower. Wind is starting to howl too, with 40-50mph gusts expected. This is all supposed to end with ice and rain and then freeze solid overnight. From what I see on the Weather Channel radar, we may get a very small window of no precipitation later this morning before it really gets bad. Guess that will be the only opportunity to do some digging out before it all freezes. I'm starting to become concerned about the weight of all this snow on my add-on peaked roof, especially if it starts raining on top of the foot of snow that's up there already. Losing power is a real possibility with the ice that's coming. Time to get the wood stove ready. I just hope we don't lose power until AFTER I watch the Patriots dismantle the Jets in Foxboro today!
Greg

Well for those of us that are used to snow, this storm was mosty media hype. So far out of the first part of the storm we got about 5" of snow and a couple inches of sleet. It's like shoveling sugar.
the second part is supposed to hit later today and the lake effect starts tonight.
For those of you that do not know about lake effect snow 2-3 feet is a common snowfall once the "Lake effect machine" get cranked up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lucasboy

We've got plenty of snow here for everybody. 13" so far & it's still coming down. I live out in the country & we're totally snowed in.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck all