Nordyne furnace won't do anything at all now

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

SimplyMe

Says Intertherm on the outside, Nordyne on the inside. Model C3DA-0364-B Was purchased in home new in Feb. 2007

Over the summer our air worked fine, then around the beginning of
Oct. I tried the heat and it wouldn't heat up, only the cool air worked. My husband replaced the thermostat because it would blow air, just not hot air and it had to be on emergency heat in order to work. After he put the new thermostat on it would click, like it was being "triggered" to come on yet nothing would happen, not even the air conditioner. So he put the old thermostat back on to see if it would turn on the air and still nothing. We're not good at this sort of thing and the nearest repair person is at leats a couple of hours away. But, my brother repairs heat/air units for a nursing home and has offered to make the trip here if we can get a general idea of where to start so he may know which parts to bring. We're freezing with electric heaters which is why I'm up at 2 a.m. huddled by the electric heater. 27 degrees! Any help at all would be so much appreciated. Thanks for making a website like this. God Bless, Rebecca and Jon.
Robert

Hi,

What is outside unit model number ?

On inside furnace, remove door panels and look near middle or bottom for data plate/sticker and get furnace model number.

Where did you locate the number you, was it on an A shaped coil above furnace blower ?

Need to know exactly what type system you have.

At 9 mos. old, should also still be under warranty, who did you buy home from ?

Have you contacted them ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
SimplyMe

Hello, I'm sorry I made a mistake on the date, it wasn't 2007 it was 2001. I was too tired to be typing.

The Number I got was off the A shaped thing. Here is another model number off the bottom near the switches.

MODEL- E2EB-015HA

And the numer I got off the unit outside which is a Medallion brand is

MODEL - MT3BA - 036KA (3 ton)

Thank you for replying. I need some sleep but will be back later in the day. Thank you so very much. :)
Robert

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry I'm just now able to get back on here. Ok, you have a split system Heat Pump with an Electric Furnace as back up heat.

While the heat pump is out, you can place t-stat to Emer. heat and just use your electric furnace for your heating.

Are you are saying that with the t-stat set to HEAT or COOL, either one, that the outside a/c condenser does not come on at all (nothing in the condenser works) ?

With a heat pump, the inside and outside units BOTH run in heat and a/c modes.

Then when the temps get around 35-40, the outside condenser kicks off IF you have an outside heat pump t-statand the inside furnace heating elements energize to give heat.

So, when the heat pump side quits running, you can just use the furnace for heat until you get the heat pump fixed.

IF the temps are really cold, as in 27* degrees as you said, your heat pump WILL NOT run, only the electric furnace.

So, if the outside condenser does not come on in a/c either, it MAY be a bad contactor.

However, with 27* temps, , the outside condenser should not be running and you should be using the electric furnace for heating purposes.

You can see and order the contactor if needed from right side here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneAC.html

Contactor # 621661

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
SimplyMe

Yes, that's right. Nothing comes on at all on either heat or cool. Nothing works outside and nothing works inside. The t-stat doesn't click if you slide it up or down either. We've flipped breakers to see if that had anything to do with it and nothing helped. We felt to see if there was at least some sort of vibration incase we just couldn't hear but there was nothing happening inside or out.

Lasy winter, we had a seperate problem that I just remembered that might have something to do withthis problem. The blower stopped working and we took it off to see if we could get it to spin again. Once we took it off, it worked fine for the reast of the winter and summer. We didn't think anything else about it.

Thank you for your help! Take all the time you need.

Thanks a lot,
Rebecca
Robert

Hi Rebecca,

Set t-stat to OFF and fan switch at t-stat to ON.

Will the inside blower come on at this time ?

If not, need to check transformer for low voltage power.

Need to test across LOAD/SECONDARY side for 24-28VAC

Usually when nothing suddenly works, it is a wire broken, come loose or been chewed into.

Thanks,
Robert
SimplyMe

Thank you Robert for your reply. Yes, my husband just checked the thermostat with it off and the fan switch on and still nothing. It hasn't worled at all since he took off the old t-stat and put a new one on. Do you think since it all suddenly stopped working at the same time when he replaced the old t-stat, the problem might originate there? So far we've tried three. Our old one, a new one we bought, and then one a friend gave us to try.

Where is the transformer? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm learning about this as I go along.

I'm in TN too by the way. :)

Thanks,
Rebecca
Robert

Hi Rebecca,

It's in controls area, next to sequencer and above front heating elements plates..

This is just a guess, BUT, when replacing t-stats, it is real easy to touch wires and if done, real easy to blow out a transformer.

What part of Tennessee,,,,,,,,,,, West, Middle or East ?

Thanks,
Robert
SimplyMe

Do you have to take the bottom box thing off to get to the transformer to test it? I wish I could see a picture of what to look for. We've had that off before to test the "hamster cage" as dad called it to make sure it could turn. It does. But I didn't think to look around in the area it was sitting at. Is that the place to be looking? Again, I'm sorry to sound dumb. I don't know any of the parts by name except what I learn as look up each part you mention. Oh and my brother said I would need a tool with prongs to test the transformer, is this right?

I live in middle TN near the southern border. Our county neighbors with Hamilton county.

Thanks again Robert. I appreciate your help so much!

Rebecca
Robert

Hi Rebecca,

Transformer # 621814 @ $19.80 + $8.00 shipping:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

Scroll down left side to locate, click on pic for enlarged view.

It is behind the upright rectangular box on bottom right side of furnace or behind the other metal panel beside the box to the left.

I'm in West Tennessee.

Thanks,
Robert