security help..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

some idiots were in my driveway trying to steal the radio out of my car at 3:00 am saturday morning and im mad! i have wanted those motion activated flood lights on the corner eaves of my home for the last 8 years and now its a must, BUT, there is no receptacles there to start with, the double wide didnt come with anything there. How would i get power to the corner eave to power the lights? Since there is no attic to get up into and run the wires, what do i do?
thanks!
Greg

You will need to get wires run inside the wall, or you could run it in conduit on the outside of the home.
I have found that all lights really do to someone that is determined is give them more light to see what they are stealing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

Just my opinion but motion sensor lights are like car alarms. They go off so much no one even pays attention. It is likely that even after all the work of installing these the only thing to come of it is that the thieves will be able to see what they are stealing better.

Seeing as how this is happening at night when not many people are about it may be wiser to invest in a car alarm system that comes with a pager that you can sit beside the bed. Once the pager goes off you can call the police from within the home.

You may also need to set up a video camera in a window (hidden from view) that may catch them in the act.
Experience is what you get after you need it.

Hi, Why not installed one of these I bought mine this at Home depot no outlet needed, solar panel collect sun energy and stores it a battery,(Solar panel on top carport awning), works great, could be placed just about anywhere, infrared motion detection only activates at dusk. I got this position over my bikes to scare off would be thieves.

It might be enough to scared them off.

hvac1000

A shotgun is a wonderful deterrent but only if aimed well. Rock salt instead of pellets will also give them a memory of when they visited your place.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
mopower440

Jim9298 wrote:Hi, Why not installed one of these I bought mine this at Home depot no outlet needed, solar panel collect sun energy and stores it a battery,(Solar panel on top carport awning), works great, could be placed just about anywhere, infrared motion detection only activates at dusk. I got this position over my bikes to scare off would be thieves.

It might be enough to scared them off.

[img]http://mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/userp ... ar_Panel_P

ower_Security_Light_1_1.jpg[/img]
I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT SOLAR ONE BUT NEVER SAW MANY SOLAR LIGHTS THAT ACTUALLY WORKED TOO WELL OR LONG..

So far it's been working flawlessly, the only problem I see is that the rechargeable battery may need to be replaced every several years, since they do not last forever also it's a single bulb and really doesn't produce a lot of lumens like the floodlights. I like it because it doesn't use any electricity.
JD
Site Admin

I can understand your frustrations. I know I would want to actually get my hands on them.

There will be wall outlets on the eave sides and maybe the gable end of the home. If this circuit is not being maxed out, the wire can be put though the wall to an exterior box. From there you and run conduit to the corners of the home. This could also be done by going straight down through the floor/wall at the outlet, running wire under the home to the gable wall and then up, but would be a lot more work.

While this is not difficult electrical repair, if you do not already have experience doing this, I would only recommend that you hire a pro. Learning how to swing a hammer can give you a black thumb. Learning how to do electrical on your own could leave you a black spot where you used to stand. Running the conduit outside should not be real expensive.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sylvia

I'm not sure if you can have a dog where you are but you could get a motion sensor dog bark. I don't know what it's called but it would be small and you could run an outdoor cord under the home to the spot.
Jim from Canada

Can you run the wire from the exterior light (assuming you have one) to the area needed up behind the soffit? An electrician is always recommended of course. He will be able to check the circuit to see if it is possible.

Jim
Manitoba Bill

I have only one comment to add---------Ground Fault.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]