I backed out of the deal...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Ellasmom

Well the home I had my heart on ended up to be a disaster and the sellers weren't offering any help therefore I walked away. It's ok, there are plenty other places.

The problem was the well. The water test came back that it had e.coli in it. The inspector felt that the problem was someone's septic had gone bad and was contaminating the water. So we gave them options to fix it before we bought, but they flat out told us no. Now they will have to disclose it anyway to the next people, so they weren't smart for not fixing it. We were going to close next week. So they are back to square 1, but so are we.

There is a plot of land down the road from this place that I would love to go for because this location is in the exact elementary school that I want to be. My problem is I can't seem to find a place that sells brand new double wides. I have local parks that buy them for their places, but they want me to buy them through them, and then they get a cut.. I want to go directy to the manufacture or atleast not a local park. Any ideas? I'm in New York..If I can get the land pretty cheap it's aready set up as it had a home on it.. It's got a spot, plus the electric, water, and septic are all ready to go.

If I don't go this route, there is a mobie home in a park that I woudn't mind.. It's a 1997 and it's ok. A little small for my family as I have 4 kids but I would make do.. It needs minor things cosmetically wise.. like the carpet is a mess from their dog.. but I would take it out and put pergo down. Only problem is with this place is the school. My daughter will need to change schools ONE MORE TIME.. which would be ok cause it will be the last stop.. I hope.. ;)

Love to hear any comments or ideas..
Demolition

Check with the local water companies.
Rural Water Associations are small and will usually work with you on Advising WHERE they provide service.

If you can find a house that is already on a public water system that would be one less thing to worry about.

See if they can just keep the meter in place and transfer the deposit on the meter.
Sometimes if you REMOVE a meter, there are state health requirements to re-inspect the property water and septic systems.

If you just leave the meter in place and transfer ownership / deposit on the meter, you may be able to avoid this problem and get good safe drinking water for your family.

In my county, there are seven different water companies and the lines do not always match city property boundary lines.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

Jenny, I am not sure exactly where you are located, it seems like you are west of Rochester. There are plenty of dealers around NY. there are many here right around Syracuse. Even if there were an extra $1000 delivery charge that's not much when you addup the final cost.
The utilities are what run the costs up when developing land, they can easily run upwards of $15,000 if you need septic system, a well dug and electric service installed.
If you can find land with the utilities on it you can save time & money. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

When buying a home, it's very easy to buy with your emotions. I am glad you rose above that and said 'no' when problems were discovered. I assume you hired an inspector? Smart move. Everyone who buys a home should hire an inspector.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi,

You have gotten good info so far. As Greg said there are plenty of dealers to go thru, no point in spreading the wealth at your expense. I would think that any dealership should be able to order you a home of your choice.

As for the home that you said is OK. Since you are still raising kids are you sure you want a home that is OK, and not wow, great...it's quite an investment and space comes at a minimum in these homes. Guess I do not recommend buying a home that you can "make do " with.

The home you had your heart set on, ...is town water available to hook onto. When Larry and I bought this place we had the wells tested, they are not good for drinking, fertilizer chemicals have leached into them from the commercial fields that adjoin our land. Thankfully we were already connected to the local water company.

Keep us posted as you continue your journey on a new home. If you are still looking for a used home make sure to print out the Guide for Purchasing a Used Home in the stickies in the Repair Forum. Glad to see you are doing your homework on these hop
mes and not just buying something pretty. Good job on hiring an inspector!

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Just checked the map. OOPS, you are south of Albany. I know there are dealers around Albany also, You could try a google search for dealers in Eastren NY. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Ellasmom

Thank you so much for all these responses.. My issue is being right now in the best elementary school for the kids.. BUT it looks like I have more options elsewhere.. There's a really nice one I found.. It's 100k less than what i was going to pay.. but it's in a park.. Yet, I have come to realize that yes I won't have the nice big, fenced in yard I was going to have, BUT as far as lot rent goes.. I won't be paying property taxes, and garbage removal.. so I'm thinking it's not far off the mark.. you know?! I think it will work out nicely.. just HATE to change my kids schools again.. :( But we'll see.. I never thought about the possibility of hooking up to our water supply.. I will look into that.. if that's an option an these people are wiling to drop the price for that.. then i willl reconsider.. :)

Thanks so much again!!! I have found that in this area they want $90.00 a sqft for a new home.. That's a bit steep for what I'd need with my 4 kids.. Oh I don't know.. I have to keep looking hahaha.. I'm in a rush as my lease is nearly up.. but it's not going to be the end of the wor to move in with my parents temporarily ;)

Thanks again!! I love this place!
Jen
Yanita

Hi,

LOL, now that the water system has been found contaminated I really do not see how they can't drop the price, its either that or fix the problem themselves.

Don't lose hope and check with your local water company...

Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
skunkman

Yanita wrote:Hi,

LOL, now that the water system has been found contaminated I really do not see how they can't drop the price, its either that or fix the problem themselves.

Don't lose hope and check with your local water company...

Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita

ellasmom, if someone's septic system has contaminated the well water why hasn't the health department checked into it? the owner of the property should be filing a complaint. i don't think the local water company could help you. What actually can be done to fix the problem? Just wondering.
Yanita

Hi,

I asked her to contact her local water company to see if there is town/city water that she can hook into. If this is a possibility then she would not need the well. The price of the home/land can be reduced for this purpose.

As for cleaning up the contamination I would assume that the person with a bad septic would have to get fixed first...from there I really do not know the process of cleaning up....

I would assume at this time that the health dept would be notified as the well failed testing, also the seller of this property must now disclose the fact the well is contaminated. To not do so would result in major fines.

Yanita
Ellasmom

today was a crazy day so I was unable to contact the water department. They did put the property back up on the market 8k lower.. Which is kind of funny as during negotiations they refused to budge. Go figure. My family seems to think they are just going to shock the well just enough to pass the next water test. I feel very bad for the next people to come along.. i think I will contact the health department just in case.

I am off to look at 7 other mobile homes in the area. I have my list printed out and ready to go of things to check for.

This is a wonderful place, and I look forward to the next messages. Yanita, I think you are a doll. Thanks again for all the ideas, and support!

Jenny
Yanita

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the compliment.

Glad to see that you are doing your homework before you commit to this investment. Continue to look around and be sure to follow the Purchasing a Used Home guidelines. Remember that is only guidelines and in no way replaces an actual inspection.

Calling the Health Dept on your own may well be a good idea. If not for yourself then for prospective buyers.

Good luck and again..keep us posted.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
skunkman

Jenny,

I did some checking on how to treat well water that has been contaminated with e coli bacteria. Systems using surface water sources are required to disinfect to ensure that all bacterial contamination is inactivated, such as E. coli.
One option is to drill a new well or install a point-of-entry disinfection unit, which can use chlorine, ultraviolet light, or ozone all of which act to kill or inactivate E. coli.
Are there any livestock on the property that could have been the source of contamination?
skunkman

Yanita wrote:Hi,

I asked her to contact her local water company to see if there is town/city water that she can hook into. If this is a possibility then she would not need the well. The price of the home/land can be reduced for this purpose.

Yanita
yanita,

I was a little dense not understanding what you meant about contacting the local water company but thanks for clearing it up for me. sometimes I need more than one cup of coffee in the mornings to get my brain started. even with the land being reduced I would shy away from that deal unless someone could guarantee me the problem could be solved without a great deal of expense involved.
Yanita

No problem, wanted to make certain that the orginal poster knew for sure what I was talking about as well.

Yanita