trusses/roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

trapper48

Hi, it appears I need to replace some trusses as well as do some serious repairs to my roof. After bouncing around a few options, I am leaning towards just ripping off the roof and replacing it with a peak roof. Also, I'll build/install new trusses and remove the old ones as I go. I also figure on replacing the ceiling insulation and perhaps upgrade the wiring as I work my way from one end to the other. Does this sound practical to anyone with MH repair experience? This is my first mobile and am not sure just how carried away I can/should get.

A bit of Background... I think it is about a '69 trailer, 64' by 12', with a curved metal rood that leaks. The floor is in good shape as well as the interior. I generally have about 3 months off work each summer so I figure it'll keep me out of town and out of mischief for a spell :)

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Demolition

Sounds feasable. You might talk to a local roofing contractor to get some tips too.

Be sure to keep some VERTICAL WALLS
I checked on a demolition job this week. It was two 12x30 sheds they had bolted together. They took the front wall off one and the back wall off the other.
Even though they had 2x10 trusses across the middle of the 24 foot span, there was no vertical support and after 20 years, the roof caved in.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. A few things you want to do before getting too far along.
First, check & relevel the home if it is off. Use a water level on the frame, a bubble level on the floor will not work.
Add permiter blocking to help support the added weight. In a mobile if you add excessive weight to the roof without permiter blocking you will bow the floor joists from the added weight.
Perhaps JD our resident roof expert will add to this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Greg brought up the most critical point. The added weight of a trussed roof on your home could cause major damage. I won't say always, but I will say often.

While a trussed and shingle roof looks more house-like, a metal roof like the one Mark sells plans for (see Books & Parts link above) would probably be your best bet. If you have damaged trusses, where the ceiling is bowed, these can be repaired before installing the roof.

There are also insulated panel roofs made for mobile homes like the one I sell here in my area. Maybe someone in your area has a similar product. You can see pictures of my roof product in the Album link above, or at www.centralvalleyrepair.com.

Either of the above roofs, installed properly, should outlast at least 2-3 shingle re-roofs.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.