Anyone have a clue?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mokehillannie

We have all of the dark paneling torn off the living room and dining room walls and have a mystery.

One electric plug on the back wall of the dining room is wired with copper. So far, everything else, except the dryer hookup that has been added recently, is aluminum.

This looks like it came from the factory like this. It didn't look like the wall had ever been disturbed.

Anyone have any idea what this was for?

(I think I've found my calling. I love this demolition!!)
Old Guy

Depending on the age of the home, it was probably built when the codes changed, but hadn't gone into total effect yet, that prohibited aluminum wiring, and the factory was using up the inventory, and in the process of changing over to copper. Over the years, I have run into three or four of these in different parts of the country, in the process of upgrading wiring in older homes.
Just a thought.
mokehillannie

It is a 1971 and I would think a whole circuit would be copper. This is only one plug.
Demolition

When I rewired my trailer, I bypassed the old wiring.
I put a new breaker box in and then put new plug ins about 5 foot high so I wouldn't have to bend over to reach a plug.
I put all the plugs on the outside of the paneling.
It ain't as pretty but there is copper instead of aluminum.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

If you are that far into the job, now would be a good time to rewire. You may want to think about upgrading the service if it is less than 100 amp also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mokehillannie

This is one reason we are taking all the paneling off. The wiring is getting done with copper. It is already 100 amp. At least that is what an electrician said.

I hated the dark paneling and am really enjoying getting rid of that ugly stuff. We have two rooms left to strip. Then the wiring begins.

The BIG boys (my son-in-law and grandson) will put the drywall up when we are ready.